cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my EE mobile in South Africa

rich4375
Explorer

Hi,

I run a small UK-based business and have a 2yr business mobile contract with EE which I only renewed in February of this year.

I will be moving to live in South Africa for a minimum of 2yrs in January next year and would like some advice on how best to proceed given that I am probably tied in to my current contract for a lengthy period yet.

I need to keep my existing UK number for old clients (especially as some people call/text me years after I've last worked with them to request further work). However, I am concerned about racking up huge bills. I will also be looking to generate new business in South Africa, so I am guessing that I may need to order an additional South African e-sim to run off my current Samsung S22 device (which comes included as part of my current 2yr contract).

Could anyone provide me with a few pointers on the most effective and economical way to do all of this please?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

EE contracts are intended for UK residents. You are expected to have a Stable Link with UK by spending at least 2 months here in any 4 month period.

Switch to PAYG & make a chargeable action within every 6 months.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for the speedy response.

Is it possible to switch to PAYG if you are still in the middle of a 2yr monthly contract? Or would I need to wait until the 2yr tie-in had finished?

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

If you're still within your min. term you either pay off your contract or wait.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Although there's two caveats with this advice, valid as it is.

1: If you take this route, make the change to PAYG before leaving the UK. All new PAYG SIMs, including migrations from pay-monthly, need to be used in the UK first before roaming is activated.

2: While roaming, you will be responsible for the international portion of all incoming calls, the caller will have dialled a UK number and is charged accordingly.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Yours is an awkward situation. There's not much that can be said to advise you. Have a word with your EE a/c manager & see what he can suggest.