Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text from EE with security code

BeepBeep1
Investigator
Investigator

Hello

My dad received a text, supposedly from EE, with a passcode.  He's NOT on EE. It gives a telephone number to ring, which seems to be the correct EE number, but since it's not giving other link in the ol' scammer way, it's curious. 

Currently ignoring it, but is it something to report...if so, should it go to spam reporting, or report to EE...?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bristolian
Legend
Legend

The text is genuine, but if it's been sent to a non-EE customer then clearly that's in error. I know other users who have received the same text message during a call to CS, but clearly the recipient number has been entered incorrectly somehow.

Delete the message and move on, probably seems the easiest approach here.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @BeepBeep1 

Welcome to the community.

If your dad forwards the message to 7726, a security team will look into this.

Thanks

Chris

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Out of interest, what is the exact text of the message your Dad received? What was the telephone number provided?

Do certainly forward to 7726 regardless - that's the standard recommendation to report any spam texts, regardless of network.

It just said "Hi from EE. Your PIN is XXXX. If you've not currently discussed your account with us, please call 0800 079 8586.  Thanks." - came from a name that says: -EE-

He's not, and has never been an EE customer.    Very odd.  Will forward it as suggested, but curious as usually those scammers want something... like "click here, then give us £1301930193014 or your first born".  So baffled in case it is real, but since he's not with EE, was curious.

(p.s. not put the actual pin above, obv)

BeepBeep1
Investigator
Investigator

Tried to submit it to that spam number, but as it's not sent from a number (it just shows -EE-) it says to contact their customer support for assistance.  

As it's not asking for money, or anything,  am wondering if it's a real message, but odd as he's not with EE. No idea if it was previously with EE (several years ago, before he got it)

bristolian
Legend
Legend

The text is genuine, but if it's been sent to a non-EE customer then clearly that's in error. I know other users who have received the same text message during a call to CS, but clearly the recipient number has been entered incorrectly somehow.

Delete the message and move on, probably seems the easiest approach here.

When you forward it & are then asked for the sender's no., just reply "-EE-".

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Did that, it replied back that it didn't recognise it and so to call them.

Not sure I will, it's not asking for money or anything, presume it is a genuine mistake, just never come across it before. 

I've done it loads of times & it's never objected. Maybe cuz I'm on O2 & your Dad's on some other network. Something they could improve! It's so obvious.

Your Dad's text is obviously for an EE cust giving EE a wrong contact no. close to his.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I'm (specifically, he, it's my dad's phone) not on EE either, hence the confusion.

Have also reported things before and never been told it wasn't recognised. No idea if that's because of the network he's on, or because it didn't accept -EE-

Ah well.