Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promotional team call - scam?

Annalynch
Investigator
Investigator

Hello, 

Today I received a call from a mobile number (07495947455) stating they were the promotions team for EE. 
They were trying to sort out an upgrade deal for me which was very good. They then began asking me for personal details which threw me as I assumed if they worked for EE they would already have all this information. 

I am very sceptical of accepting anything over the phone due to having experienced fraud before.

Does anyone know if this is a legitimate number? 
Thanks 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks! 
spoke with EE on 150 who have confirmed this isnt a listed number of theirs and probably a scam. 

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Annalynch  personally if a company calls me and then starts asking for personal information to access the account as they claim they need to do to access your account I wouldn’t give that information as they have called me and I don’t know who they are.  Don’t trust anyone when this happens and there is nothing to stop you from calling customer services on 150.    You are right in not passing your information over even if it is a genuine EE customer services calling you.  My scepticism is raised because it’s a mobile phone number that’s called you.  

Thanks! 
spoke with EE on 150 who have confirmed this isnt a listed number of theirs and probably a scam. 

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Thanks for confirming this, @Annalynch.

Hopefully other users can see this and avoid being scammed by the same number.

Jon

Today I got a call from a number 01689 455017 & 01428 444001 . Saying they’re from EE promotional team and they’re gonna reduce my phone bill as I have a good credit score. I was intrigued, but then they started asking personal questions which alert me cause surely if you weee part of EE you would have my personal details. I figured out it was a fan 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @Lash2198

Thanks for coming here 🙂

You can view our partners on the What numbers will EE partners call from? Help page. 

If you would like to discuss your account options please call us on 150 🙂

Leanne.

Hi EE, I received a call today  from 07908349643 stating its a call from EE, I asked several times to confirm where they are calling from, i was told EE promotions department every time I asked. The lady was offering an upgrade and didn't have access to my account or current tariff, didn't know my monthly charges, and didn't know anything about my existing account with EE or that I also had Broadband too. she asked questions about current handset an current monthly charge. 

She offered me a new handset as upgrade and didn't offer trade in of old handset, she was continuously asking if I agreed to the deal which she provide very little information on, I asked for the details in writing, she kept repeating she is unable to do this "as I told you I'm different department". She was repeatedly asking if I could confirm I'm happy to proceed, Upon request for confirmation in email, (I still haven't received anything in email) and she call back at 5pm I asked for a number I could call to confirm its EE she gave me 4420 8157 6314 (google search the number nothing came up) and I called it, to no answer, I then received a call back from this 0208 No., a gentleman , I asked where he was based he couldn't answer immediately, then said EE promotions department, after lack of building address , transferred me to the lady I was speaking to again but I was not convinced to share my details. Could you verify that there is a Sales department in Bracknell in Berkshire that would make calls like this from EE? (It was a good deal). I asked why they were not calling from 150, I asked for a text msg and or email with the deal information this was not provided. seems all phishy to me.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Pmobileuser 

You can view our partners on the What numbers will EE partners call from? Help page. 

If you're ever unsure, speak to our Mobile Care team who can check who you spoke to by looking at internal notes.

Chris

Xyzxz
Explorer

Had this as well today. Got a call from 024 7542 6086

l’m new to the UK so no dodgy place should have my number.

Person on the phone offered me a iPhone 14 Pro Max 256 or a “something else” Ultra 22” , unlimited data/calls/texts and 500 international minutes. 

When I asked him how he got my number, I got multiple answers. First he said his “system” had told him I was eligible, then he said it was a “random generator”. 

I told the guy I was at work and couldn’t talk but could he email me the details. I gave him a burner email I use for promos etc. 

I got a very dodgy email. Waiting for EE on Twitter to come back to me. 

I honestly wanted to just string him along.

Trying to reverse engineer the scam here, I am guessing they get all your personal details needed to change your number over to them. They’ll ask for the OTP via text. Then they’ll try and do things like reset your online banking password to get in. 

Scandalous! 
I also asked for an email for confirmation of the contract they were offering.. on reviewing this I noticed It was completely unprofessional and spelling mistakes everywhere. Scary how they can access all your details.