cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message scam about rewards points from EE

Margih62
Investigator
Investigator

Hi is anyone else getting messages supposed to be from EE  saying they've got thousands of rewards points that's going to be  lost in 2 days if they dont  click on the link to spend them?

721 REPLIES 721
Your phone number is just a selection of 11 numbers which are totally
predictable. You are seeing a conspiracy between EE and these Scammers,
which is non-existent. I am not EE and I get them.

I have received this text earlier, looks like a scam, so reported to 7726, not seen this type before so thought I'd share 

1000066563.jpg

@Debsparky : It's a scam! There are many of these going the rounds. EE would never send you a msg asking you to click on a link in order to access your a/c. The URL to be clicked is obviously not EE's.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Debsparky 

Welcome to the community.

Thank you for sharing this and for forwarding it to 7726, this will be investigated by the security team.

Chris

I received at text from 07949 821777 as follows:

Hi from EE, We've notice that the EE Points in your account (5340 points) will expire in 3 working days. Please redeem the points for available rewards in time. Visit [URL removed] for more information.

I foolishly clicked the link and was presented with a very professional series of web pages offering electronic gifts.  I selected a set of wireless ear buds and was prompted to pay a fee of £1 with Apple Pay, using one of those pop up authorisation pages - which I did.  I then received a text from my bank as follows:

Enter <Pin Code> to verify your card ending ​**** for Apple Pay. Please don't share this code with anyone. Didn't ask us for this? Get in touch right away.

When I check my bank online there were no withdrawal.  I rang my banks fraud number and they confirmed that there had been two attempt to make withdrawals for £100+. 

Thankfully my bank blocked these requests.  I am happy that my bank is vigilant on my behalf as I

@Johnmu1234 : It's a scam! There are many of these going the rounds. EE would never send you a msg asking you to click on a link in order to access your a/c. The URL to be clicked is obviously not EE's.

Report spam texts to your network provider by forwarding the text to 7726 (S.P.A.M. on your keypad).

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
C-jennings
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi Johnmu1234

Sorry this happened to you as stated by another member these scam text's have been going around for quite sometime now and unfortunately a few people have been caught out as the Scams are so convincing.

I'm glad they didn't manage to take any money and you did the correct thing contact your bank about this if you put in any other details maybe change certain passwords might be a good idea for piece of mind. 

Tell as many people as possible.

Hi,

I clicked on the link, //tinyurl.com/UKEECO3?QgP+uT9lxUrHLP+
(Added the plus to hopefully make the URL safe.)
History in the Samsung browser says it was loading "ee.coauk.icu"

Will this have loaded anything on to my phone?

I stopped part way through the page loading, and ran a McAfee scan (that came up negative).

Thank you.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Foj 

Welcome to the community.

It's a good sign that your McAfee scan came back negative. I'm not sure what the link entailed, but they are usually to try and get you to enter details. Since you didn't enter anything, it should be OK.

Did you forward the message to 7726?

Chris