cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message scam about rewards points from EE

Margih62
Investigator
Investigator

Hi is anyone else getting messages supposed to be from EE  saying they've got thousands of rewards points that's going to be  lost in 2 days if they dont  click on the link to spend them?

748 REPLIES 748

Yes there is 

Screenshot_20231109_170432_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20231109_170001_Messages.jpg

 l have hade several of these over 2 days

Hi Chris,

I have received mmultiple messages like this as well. They've come from different mobile numbers.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @Perry3188 @Margih62

Please report these messages by forwarding them to 7726. I would also recommend not clicking on any links provided. 

Katie

Hi Katie

I tried forwarding it to 7726 but it doesn't register 😕 and won't send?

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Margih62

That's strange. 

Are you connected to WiFi when sending these messages?

Katie

Hi all,

These scammers don't know you're on EE and it's unlikely that EE are selling your numbers to anyone. They'll send these texts to thousands of numbers knowing that some will belong to an EE customer. My partner is on another network and has been recieving these same texts. 

As for how they get hold of numbers, they have lots of methods. They could be using data leaked in other breaches, random number generation, data scraping techniques that pull data from publicly available sources etc. 

Like many large scale phishing attempts, they throw out a huge net and hope that some of the people they reach will fall into the relevant category. Just like the Royal Mail one, many people receiving them won't be expecting a parcel. But some will so are more likely to fall for it.

Christian78
Visitor

Yes, received a few of them this week. Definately a scam as random mobile mobiles. Any correspondence iv received from EE actually says EE instead of a random number.

Had four of those type of texts over past 3 days, all the same kind of wording using xxx.buzz as the link, so a combo of 3 letters then buzz for my scam texts links.

They're even using the EE logo at the bottom now too to try and fool people even more (scammy b&stards).

Always forward the message to 7726 (which also spells SCAM) and then wait for the reply. Then it will ask for the number which sent you the dodgy text. Thats it. Thats all you have to do. DONT click on the link or call the number, just forward the text to shortcode 7726, then wait for the reply (almost always within a few seconds) then send the number, then it will reply with a thank you text, and that it, job done, reported. Now delete the text and get on with enjoying your day 🙂 

Markw2104
Investigator
Investigator

Definitely a scam and EE  are now aware. I called EE and spoke to an advisor. She informed me that lots of people have been receiving these type of texts in past few days. I've had 4 in padt 3 days, all from different mobile numbers and all using the URL of xxx.buzz, so 3 letters then buzz as the link. DONT PRESS THE LINK! 

Report qny scam texts this way.. forward message to 7726 (spells out SCAM) then wait for reply, I'll say thanks etc and then ask for the number that sent you the message, then send the number, It'll say thanks etc and that's it. DON'T PRESS THE LINK.. if you give/gave them any bank details call your bank immediately and speak to the fraud team.

Someone on another link actually gave all their bank details over and said they only took £1 from them, this is just to verify the details are correct and a payment can be taken, they will sell this information on and the next time they will attempt to EMPTY your bank account. DO NOT PRESS THE LINK OR CALL THE NUMBER! Even pressing the link verifies your number is real and they will use it or sell it on. They send 1000's of texts out like a wide net hoping a few will fall for it. 

Always Report the number to 7726 (doesn't matter what carrier you use EE O2 VODA SKY etc, they all use 7726 as their scam report shortcode number) then send the number to the 7726 reply, that it, job done! 

Stay safe people 👍