Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM move from one device to another

SoufferTheCat
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi All,
Currently have an S21 with an eSIM - all working fine.
I've got an S23 coming this weekend and will want to obviously move my eSIM from one device to another. Is there a set process or order you should do things in when wanting to activate an eSIM in a new device? From what I remember there is a text code sent and obviously if that happens after the current eSIM is removed - trouble.

Cheers.

8 REPLIES 8
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @SoufferTheCat

Welcome to the community. 

With android devices, you need to request a new SIM card through your My EE account when upgrading. Select the eSIM option. 

Katie 🙂

SoufferTheCat
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi,
Thanks for the reply - that hasn't worked.
Yesterday evening I went through the "Request a new SIM" option in my EE account. Scanned the QR code into my new phone.
16hrs later - the eSIM in my old phone is still active, the eSIM in my new phone is "not provisioned" with a number of 000000000 showing.

Any Ideas? 

SoufferTheCat
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

*Sigh*
I mean, am I wrong in just thinking that technology should "just work"?
So now I'm stuck using two phones - everything has been transferred over to my new phone, with the except of my number. Which I'm told should take just moments to complete, yet it's now over 17hrs and your technical support say it may take 24.
No coincidence that my 24hrs is up after you close this evening.

So, if things don't work out over night (and lets be honest - it won't - if it hasn't happened in the time it is supposed to, a few more hours isn't going to change anything) I shall have to go into work with two phones and use those all day until I can find the time to call you again.
I'm told that you may need to send me a physical SIM out (Why? I'm moving eSIM to eSIM, so why would you need to send me a physical SIM out? It makes zero sense) that will be another 2-4 day wait.
Oh - and do not think for a second you'll be actually charging me for that physical SIM.

If your systems are not up to moving an eSIM from phone to phone then tell us. I know that this will not work as my old phone, the one with the still fully provisioned eSIM has at no point received the magic PIN that apparently is required to activate the eSIM on the new phone.
System can't cope with modern tech? Fine, tell us and we'll all remain on physical SIMs until you catch up.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Physical SIMs certainly have advantages in-case of changing phones, eSIM is still relatively new technology and does add complications to some processes.

SoufferTheCat
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Aye - you're telling me.
I like the idea of an eSIM as it means should my pone go walkies, somebody cannot simply remove the physical SIM and I lose all contact with it. But here we are, 24hrs after my apparent SIM switch and still nothing has happened except the old eSIM is still fully provisioned and the new one remains non-provisioned.
This should be so simple - this should be no different to moving a physical SIM from one phone to another.

But you're right, I suspect tomorrow I'll be phoning up again, I expect a physical SIM will have to be sent (and eventually get to me) which I'll need to install.......

@SoufferTheCat wrote:

I like the idea of an eSIM as it means should my pone go walkies, somebody cannot simply remove the physical SIM and I lose all contact with it

Reporting the phone lost/stolen will result in the device & SIM being blacklisted at the same time, and a replacement SIM being posted out - or made available for collection (with photo ID) at your nearest EE store.

SoufferTheCat
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

So, we fast approach another day with my number still being attached to my old phone. Called support yesterday after waiting around 30hours to be told that the new eSIM hasn't been activated yet. That was done immediately, however I'm told I need to wait until 6:00pm today (21/11/2023) before the transfer happens. I do unfortunately pity the technical person I get through to later if that does not happen.

Question:
At the moment the old eSIM is still working and the new eSIM "will be" provisioned at 6:00pm today. Should I be deleting the old eSIM whilst I'm waiting? In my mind I'm seeing my number attached to an eSIM on my old phone, if that were no longer there, no longer existed - that should be one less thing to get in the way of things just happening later today?

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @SoufferTheCat,

I wouldn't recommend deleting your active SIM card. It won't speed up the process of activating your new one and would leave you without service in the meantime.

James