cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM download - possible scam?

southofnorth
Contributor
Contributor

On Monday I noticed on my iPhone that a new eSIM was pushed out. I tried to install it which in hindsight probably wasn’t a good idea especially as it took 24 hours to activate with the help of an agent . My question is, is it normal for an eSIM to be pushed out especially as I didn’t order it?  I don’t believe it was a scam as I hadn’t received an email or text 

12 REPLIES 12
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@southofnorth  If you didn’t request it you need to speak with customer services you don’t just get the eSim activated unless you request it. 

Nonina
Visitor

Someone managed to download and activate an esim from my account... It disactivated my number and allowed them to steal it for enough time to access a lot of payment apps - bank apps, Curve, Google and apple pay.  I did get a message to say someone had activated an esim though, just not in time to stop it - they managed to activate it through the chat service and escalate it to push it through whilst I was at work.  

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Nonina 

I am very sorry to hear this has happened, have you spoken to our mobile care team to get this looked into? 

If you have not already, please change your passwords for all accounts that use the same log in details. 

Leanne.

r1ddl3
Explorer

This happened to me in 2021, twice in 1 week, first time it happened I called EE after 30 minutes, they managed to block my sim and also remove my phone number from MYEE account, as they said some sort of device managed to obtain eSim via self service which was done on the account!

Finally I thought I was safe, but unfortunately it happened again after a few days, while I was using my phone, luckily had a backup  phone near me and managed to block the sim again by calling EE Lost and Stolen department, I was luckily put through to the same person that helped me initially, even they was confused as to how it happened again because apparently it was self service Esim request! My number had no association with any EE account so we was both confused, I forgot to add at this point when it first happened I did check the MyEE app on my phone and apparently some sort of iPhone 5 which supports Esim was registered, they did so much damage, managed to sign to my email accounts and then so forth, as they had direct access to my number they was able to do anything!

When both these instances happened my sim stopped working and I was told to go to my nearest EE store to get a new sim, upon the second time the manager at the store told me if it happens again we can't give you another sim!!!! Was very rude to me? Did I ask for this?

Now onto EE, my case was sent to the Fraud Department who till this day have not contacted me! I was told they will be contacting me via email, I have never heard back from them, the only thing they did was quite interesting, a few weeks after the incident I recieve a notification about my credit score, that there is an "update". It was a CIFAS Marker on my name?!!??!

Luckily working in Cyber Security, I was aware of my rights so I sent CIFAS a Subject Access Request and a few weeks later they responded with the information they held of me.

EE who without communicating with me had provided my details to CIFAS as "Victim of Impersonation" and the details also included reports of "Internal Fraud at EE"!!!
I'm now looking into taking legal action, they have a duty to keep our details safe, but unfortunately they allowed their employees to easily take over your sim, as I have understood it!

Very stressful times, still to do this day I am targeted for phishing, it has proved difficult to apply for contracts (Sim Card Plan!), all because EE allowed this to happen, my financial crypto accounts were also compromised during this time!

This happened to me in 2021, twice in 1 week, first time it happened I called EE after 30 minutes when my services were dropped, EE managed to block my sim and also remove my phone number from MYEE account, as they said some sort of device managed to obtain eSim via self service which was done on the account!

Finally I thought I was safe, but unfortunately it happened again after a few days, while I was using my phone, luckily had a backup phone near me and managed to block the sim again by calling EE Lost and Stolen department, I was luckily put through to the same person that helped me initially, even they was confused as to how it happened again because apparently it was another self service Esim request! My number had no association with any EE account so we was both confused, I forgot to add at this point when it first happened I did check the MyEE app on my phone and apparently some sort of iPhone 5 which supports Esim was registered (I have never used iphone), they did so much damage, managed to sign to my email accounts and then going on to access many other accounts(MFA FTW), as they had direct access to my number they was able to do anything!

When both these instances happened my sim stopped working and I was told to go to my nearest EE store to get a new sim, upon the second time the manager at the store told me if it happens again we can't give you another sim!!!! Was very rude to me? Did I ask for this?

Now onto EE, my case was sent to the Fraud Department who till this day have not contacted me! I was told they will be contacting me via email, I have never heard back from them, the only thing they did was quite interesting, a few weeks after the incident I recieve a notification about my credit score, that there is an "update" on my credit. It was a CIFAS Marker on my name?!!??! Now those who haven't heard of CIFAS, they essentially blacklist you so you can't even get credit such as a sim only plan!!!!!

Luckily working in Cyber Security, I was aware of my rights so I sent CIFAS a Subject Access Request and a few weeks later they responded with the information they held of me.

EE who without communicating with me had provided my details to CIFAS as "Victim of Impersonation" and the details also included reports of "Internal Fraud at EE"!?!!

I'm now looking into taking legal action against EE, they have a duty to keep our details safe, but unfortunately they allowed their employees to easily take over your sim, as I have understood it!

Very stressful times, still to do this day I am targeted for phishing, it has proved difficult to apply for contracts (Sim Card Plan!), all because EE allowed this to happen, my financial crypto accounts were also compromised during this time!

Christopher_G

Hi @r1ddl3 

Thank you for explaining your situation. I'd really like to get you some help with this. I've sent you a private message to get some more information from you.

Chris

Did you get a response from the fraud team? The same thing happened to me today also. Someone call me from an EE number and sent me a text from 150 and said someone had requested an esim - “was this you?”.

Then then said they’d cancel the esim, but needed me to enter a sim somewhere. I said I can’t do that I’m driving. And then sent me a text from “MyEE”, asked me to read out the code from the text. 

At this point, I said how will I know you’re from EE and I’m sure they said “you won’t”. And then my sim was deactivated instantly. They also said it would be deactivated for 20 mins.

I got worried and thought it was a scam and called EE from my brothers mobile. EE said someone had logged into the EE app with with my details 10 mins later, but EE blocked my sim and locked my account.  They also said that never sent the messages.

but I’m confused as the call came from the 0800 number above. And the first warning text came from 150. Maybe I was also targeted by internal fraud.

Leanne_T

Hi there @ColdTurkey 

I am very sorry to hear this has happened on your account.  

When you called 150, did our mobile guides escalate this to our fraud team to be fully investigated? 

Have you changed all passwords for any accounts that use the same email and password log in details?

Please see our Online Security: Avoid and Prevent Scams | EE and also the

Fighting fraud | Help | EE page for information on staying safe and reporting fraud. 

Leanne.

This same esim scam happened to me in October and I'm still trying to get it sorted out now. They managed to register for an esim then took control of my number. This then allowed them to gain access to my email account (as changing the password can be done easily once they have your mobile number).

I reported this straight away to ee. But the thieves in the meantime made purchases of £250 via my ee account on Apple and Sony app stores. Which ee are now disputing that I need to pay for!

Outwith the ee problem, the thieves had access to my main email account and have done as yet unknown damage via identity theft. 

This is a massive security issue. Ee are providing a mechanism for thieves to easily gain access, then lock out a person from their own digital life! But are continuing to persecute the victim.