Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid SIM on old Nokia phone

thesled
Investigator
Investigator

Hi

EE have sent me a new EE-branded SIM card for some reason, probably something to do with the 3G switchoff.

I put it in my old Nokia phone and it just says 'Invalid SIM' and the phone pretty much stops dead. I had a text message to a 'New Sim' page but none of that seems to make much sense. 

If I put my old ORANGE brand SIM back in it's fine and works OK. 

Any thoughts much appreciated. 

17 REPLIES 17
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Your phone is locked to Orange & needs unlocking to a diff network SIM.

You can just apply for unlocking by using the Unlocking your device form and giving its IMEI no., which you can obtain be dialling *#06# into its keypad.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Sounds like a plan !

Only problem is when I put the IMEI number into the web page it blows up - I get

'Sorry, something went wrong on our end. Please enter your IMEI again or come back later'

The phone is probably so old it just can't believe it. 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @thesled 

In this case, please call us on 150 and the team will be happy to help. 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

Hi Leanne, as I had an email from you reminding me to update the post I have done so below, but you might not like the result. 

To cut a long story short I wasted a lot of time on phone calls to support and ended up making a complaint to EE. I include the basic text of it below for anyone interested in the outcome.

"I have an old Nokia 5500d phone with Orange SIM card which was working fine until I was sent a new EE SIM, probably related to 3G switchoff, I did not request one. I inserted the SIM and got the message 'SIM card not valid'. I called EE and was told the new SIM required activation. This was done but the message 'SIM card not valid' remains. However, I can no longer use my old Orange SIM either as this now gives a message 'SIM card registration failed'. So I am now disconnected totally.
I put up a forum post and was advised the phone might be locked to Orange. I tried the on-line unlocking page but it would not accept the IMEI number. I called EE again to get an unlock code but the adviser was evasive and due to the language problem it was not entirely clear what he was saying. He seemed to be saying the phone was not locked but it was unclear and as he seemed very keen on trying to sell me an 'upgrade' I'm not sure he was that interested. He did say though that he thought the new SIM was fundamentally incompatible with my older phone.
I do not wish to waste any more time and potentially money on calls to expensive 07953 numbers as of course I no longer have a working mobile phone and have to call from a landline. So in order to resolve the complaint please do the following.
1) Reverse the SIM card switchover that was done and re-enable my original Orange SIM. Then I will at least have a working phone and let me know this has been done.
2) Either unlock the phone from Orange and confirm this or confirm to me that it is already unlocked so that I can use any working SIM card in it if necessary.
3) Ensure that any future SIM cards you send me are suitable for use with the phone. After all you have had this phone on your records for years if not decades"

Leanne_T

Hi @thesled 

I am very sorry to hear this. 

If you have submitted a complaint the team will get this looked into and get in touch to let you know what they can do to help. 

Please see our Complaints code of practice, Help page for information and details on how how to submit a complaint with us. 

Thanks. 

Leanne.

Did you get this resolved ? As I have exactly same problem 

Christopher_G

Hi @Nemu 

Is your phone locked to another network? Are you able to try using the SIM in a different device?

Chris

Orange branded Nokia 6310 with an orange sim been sent an EE sim to replace original orange but cannot get an unlock code for the orange Nokia handset to allow new EE sim to work

surely as orange were taken over by EE they are effectively same company ?

now I have activated new EE sim old Orange sim that previously worked in this phone has been disabled by EE but new EE sim wont work either in this handset ( it will in a non branded on that I borrowed to test it )

Christopher_G

Orange devices over a certain age still need to be unlocked to use them on the EE network, @Nemu 

If you speak to our Mobile Care team, they'll do their best to get it unlocked as soon as possible.

Chris