cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep your Plusnet number when transferring to EE (with the Plusnet deals)

WhyDidIDoThis
Investigator
Investigator

So, This issue seems to be getting some attention so this may help: 

After spending over an hour trying to use the EE number PAC transfer form (on EE site) without success, I managed to speak to an EE tech support guy who was very helpful.

He explained that Plusnet customers coming over to EE (only as part of the transfer deals offered) who want to keep their Plusnet mobile number are automatically ported over within a day of the EE SIM (with the new EE 'temporary' number) being registered on the EE network.

This is done by putting it the new EE SIM in your phone and getting a reception signal on the EE network. Once that is done you then have to put the Plusnet SIM back in, to use the phone until the porting over/number transfer  is complete, usually within 24 hours (if you do this before 5.30 that day). When the Plusnet SIM no longer connects to that network (It gives you a message that text only service is available), you know the transfer with your desired number, is likely complete.

This is the reason the Plusnet PAC is not being recognised when you try to use the EE number retention/transfer form (Which is currently being used on the EE site). 

Don't forget to put the new EE SIM back in the phone when you get the above service message.

All the best.

9 REPLIES 9
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@WhyDidIDoThis     That’s obvious as you need a working sim in order to accomplish this.   Not having an activated sim ( EE sim ) then the number porting over doesn’t know where to go as the sim isn’t active.    So you get an error message stating the code is wrong as it doesn’t know how to show an error with a none active SIM card.  

Don’t say you’ve been trying to port a number over to a none activated SIM card.   

Exactly, and as per my earlier comment, the EE confirmation email states that they will automatically transfer to the old Plusnet number, so that is exactly what they should be doing, and none of this jumping through hoops SIM card back and forth nonsense or uncooperative unhelpful overseas call centre staff who do not urgently fix EE's port in problem

ssung99
Investigator
Investigator

I'm tansferring from Plusnet to EE using thier transfer deal. Put the new sim card in today, still on new (hopefully temporary number). Got two welcome texts from 150 but no mention of porting my old number. Do I just leave it for a day or should I text PORT to 150 as instructed on the sim card packaging?

Thanks

Hi, As above, I had to put the old Plusnet sim back in until it stops working (about a day) then put the 'new' sim back in and the number transfer should be complete (assuming you are trying to keep your old plusnet number)....no harm in sending the text though as maybe they have updated the process? does it say which sim to send from?

The instruction is on the new sim. It then replies asking for the number I want tro transfer from my current service provider and the PAC code. Sounds a bit like duplication as I had already supplied both details when I took up the EE offer to transfer my Plusnet.

@Chris_B It's not at all obvious to many people. This is a very obtuse and judgemental post on those who don't know how SIM cards and number porting works.

EE have not explained the Plusnet transfer process well at all.

Just checking, did the transfer work in the end?

Yes, it worked on 20 Oct, although I don't know if it was due to me texting PORT to 150 or if it would have happened anyway, as in your case.

WhyDidIDoThis
Investigator
Investigator

Good to hear 😎 👍🏼