cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text scam: Payment/Direct Debit failure message

Sorcha
Former EE Community Manager

There are several versions of scam text messages circulating at the moment. We wanted to let you see examples of what these may look like so that you can keep your details safe. 

The messages advise that either a payment has failed, a direct debit has failed or that your profile needs to be updated to prevent payment failure. Remember to never log into your account via a link in a message, always log into your account directly. 

These messages are fake and have not come from EE, here are some examples of what they can look like.

scam1.png

scam 2.png

scam 3.png

scam 4.png

If you've received one of these messages, or something similar, don't worry. Receiving a suspicious text, email or voice call won't harm you – harm can only come if you interact with it

Just remember these important tips:

• Don’t click on links unless you’re 100% sure they are genuine

• Take a moment to stop and think and trust your instincts. If it looks too good to be true or looks suspicious, it probably is

• Don’t give any of your personal details or give anyone access to your computer – if you think you might have provided your bank account details, contact your bank immediately

For more information on how to stay safe online and report these message take a look at our Spam and phishing article.

50 REPLIES 50
Wilky1
Visitor

Received an SMS yesterday as follows:

EE.UK: We were unable to process your latest payment. In order to avoid fees, please update your information via: [mod edit: removed to ensure safety]

The site is a scam, my security software gave me a warning - this site is unsafe.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Wilky1

Thank you for posting. Please forward the text message including the number you received it from, to 7726 so that it can be investigated.

Thanks

Chris

Rosemary
Investigator
Investigator

I’ve received these text messages for the past 3 months on 24th of the month. Do I just Delete or can I forward them to you?

@Rosemary : Report it to your network provider by forwarding the text to 7726 (S.P.A.M. on your keypad) & then delete it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks that’s very helpful 

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
MessyFries
Visitor

Had a text off number +447312 522 590 reading:

EE: We are unable to process your bill. In order to avoid late payment fees, update your billing information via [web address using https:// beginning and  'ee-billingvalidate' within url]

- bill has already been taken, not the usual number ee send messages from, nor does the url follow the same structure as official ee websites so did not trust. Beware everyone.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @MessyFries

Thanks so much for coming to the community and making us aware. 

If you still have the text please forward this to 7726

Katie 🙂

Is this number a scam? seemed dodgy as I would never click on a link that's supposed to be from EE..  +44 7796 798705:
EE: We are having issues verifying your billing details. Update these details immediately at ee-payservices.com to avoid a block on your EE account