Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG SIM - Owned by another account holder

Jaytin
Investigator
Investigator

Good afternoon. 

I was given this PAYG sim around 7 years ago and have put money on it monthly. 

I am told I cannot register this number numerous times but I cant remember who gave me it [I have an idea who but the help centre wont entertain this with a yes or no]This frustrates me. 

This  also doesnt seem very logical. How much money have I paid over the years without being able to register? EE will take my money knowing that the number is registered elsewhere but give me no ability to own the number, its a free sim afterall. I also assume, theres no complaint from the original owner, so whats the issue?

Can someone help me out here please. 

9 REPLIES 9
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

What happens when you try to register it to your MyEE?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

It says it is registered to another account. 

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good afternoon @Jaytin

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Have you had the chance to report this to our customer care team?

Katie

Hi Katie.

Yes, I have. The last time the person hung up because I coudnt provide the account holders name. As I say in my original post I cant remember whom I got the sim from but It would only of been from a friend as they were not using it. I have been using and topping it up for years without issue and without EE refusing my payments even though the Debit card stored would also be under a diffferent name. My name in this instance, it doesnt make sense. 

I assume EE can see how much money has been spent and the name of the payee on the debit card details.

So to clarify, EE take my money from my debit card and top up some other account holders PAYG sim and wont let me take control of the account. 

Th reason I would like to take control is to keep the number and potentially upgrade to an actual sim. This however is impossible without having control. This also stops me from getting another sim because I wont be able to bring the number Ive used for many years now. 

As I said Im frustrated. Today I try and fix that. 

Kind regards

Theres some errors in my rant. 

I would like to potentially get a contract with this number but cant because I dont own the number. 

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

It's a matter of ownership. As far as EE are concerned this SIM is owned by another who failed to detach it from their MyEE when they gave it to you. Therefore EE cannot make over the ownership to you w/out the owner's say so. You can't id the owner & EE can't reveal who it is for privacy reasons.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

You could try switching from PAYG to a contract online by Switch to pay monthly and save & hope it doesn't revert to checking on the owner. Your existing PAYG credit will be carried over as credit towards your future bills. You keep your existing SIM & no. The plan on it is just switched to contract.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies. I went to an EE shop this afternoon and got the number added to our family plan. 

Problem solved. 

Kind regards

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & trust it is now sorted.