cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG - Checking charges

martin264
Investigator
Investigator

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to check that the deductions from my PAYG credit are correct?

Normally it's just £1 every week to renew my pack, but occasionally I see odd, additional amounts have been taken and I cannot seem to find out why. I have queried this in the past by phone (which took ages). The operator could not explain either and refunded me. I never run out of data/text/mins btw. I would have expected to be able to look online and see the details of top-ups and deductions just as you can with a bank a/c. Surely this is no different.

thanks, martin.

10 REPLIES 10
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you some examples of these  odd, additional amounts?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

In your online MyEE: Home > View full usage > Your usage.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks XraySpeX .....Just looking through my 150 'BA' texts: The last one was 40p between 9th and 19th Feb. but previously it has been other amounts so my balance ends up with odd pence. If I notice this I top up to make it an integer number of £'s so that it becomes more apparent. But the question was "is a way to check that the deductions from my PAYG credit are correct".

Martin

40p is the cost of sending a Picture Msg (MMS). These are not included in your pack allowances. 

You could easily turn an intended pure text into an MMS by including an emoji in it but your phone should warn you.

Thanks XRaySpeX. Disclaimer - I've never actually had an EE login until wanting to ask the question on here! So, I've now linked my phone to the login and as you say, I can see the credits and debits, but only for the last 30 days which doesn't include the period when the odd 40p went. However I suspect that you are correct about MMS emoji. My phone does not warn though, but I shall be more careful in future. Thanks for your help.

Watch the text box as you type. It should place an "MMS" against it if it turns into an MMS. Alternatively in the Messaging app settings there should be an option about turning SMS into MMS of "Auto/Ignore/Warn".

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & trust it is now sorted.

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Watch the text box as you type. It should place an "MMS" against it if it turns into an MMS. Alternatively in the Messaging app settings there should be an option about turning SMS into MMS of "Auto/Ignore/Warn".

I'm not familiar with Apple, but Android certainly does give an on-screen warning of "converting to MMS" - it's actually quite prominent.

You can also use the unicode alphabet setting to (almost) eliminate the risk too - I've not yet found any emoji that SMS can't carry this way. Only animated GIFs.

martin264
Investigator
Investigator

Interesting comments bristolian. Thank you.

I'm using Android v10 on Alcatel 3L. The messaging app is google's. I don't get the "converting to MMS" message but the but the arrow symbol on the RHS of the text entry field does change to have MMS rather than SMS under it if I include a picture gif thingy. But I've never done that and the emoji's I occasionally use are just smileys or thumbs up. These do not show as MMS so perhaps these are being done with the unicode character set as you have said. I cannot find any setting to change the character set.

Does receiving a MMS message incur a charge for the recipient?

Receiving MMS or SMS is free globally.

Try Messaging app Settings > More Settings > Text Msgs > Input Mode > Unicode.

Also Messaging app Settings > More Settings > Multimedia Msgs > Set Restrictions > Restricted/Warning/Free.