cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get texts

darlene
Contributor
Contributor

Quite suddenly, starting Dec 2022,  my ee pay as you go phone can't receive texts or send texts while in the USA.  I am unable to get access to any of the available networks like T-Mobile, Verizon, or ATT.  It has always worked before, for approximately the last 10 years.  It works fine in the UK. I thought that the phone was just too old, so ee switched the sim card while in the UK to a much newer phone.  Again, works in the UK but not in the US.  I have at least 14 UKP credit, so it's not that it's out of money. What's wrong?  Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @darlene 

Do you reside in the US? 

When did you last make a chargeable call or text on the account? 

EE have a PAYG hibernation policy which might be the issue. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
The last chargeable call was made in the UK in late February. As soon as I
returned to the US in Feb, I was unable to make a chargeable call or text.
Believe me I tried! The message I get is that I'm not registered. I just
tried to make a phone call, and it says I'm not registered.
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Thanks @darlene 

It could be worth speaking to our technical support team using a VOiP service, such as Skype. They may be able to help get to the bottom of the problem.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I did just that and the ee person doesn't believe the
problem is theirs, which is what I first thought. I think I'm being
blocked by the US providers for some reason, and I'm going to go back to
dealing with them!
Christopher_G

OK, thanks for calling to check, @darlene 

I hope you manage to get sorted. Keep us posted with how you're getting on.

Chris

Hi Chris. Phone still doesn't work.  I spoke with tech team and he said it should work.  I called US mobile companies and they don't understand the problem.  I googled the problem and it came back with a comment that my Samsung S7 Edge is not compatible and to change some settings to make it work.  I did all that.  Phone says I'm registered to a network (?), but I still can't send or receive texts.  With all the innovations made recently to cell phones, I feel like we're moving backwards as this is the first time that my phone doesn't work. Thanks for asking! LOL.  Let me know if you have any additional thoughts.

James_B

Hi @darlene,

What were the settings changes you made? Was it activating 4G Calling (VoLTE)?

Are you using an old T-Mobile/Orange plan or perhaps you were switched to an EE 3G plan at some point? Either of these options would stop you using US 4G networks.

James

Thanks for trying to help.  I am using a Samsung S7 Edge 4G phone for EE. While in the NY/NJ metro area, I was able to get T-Mobile network to work with it by changing the settings from 2G/3G/4G to just 2G/3G. Was able to get texts.  Now I am in FL. When I landed in Miami, it worked immediately, getting the "Welcome to America" texts, et al.  However,  I'm now in the Palm Beach area, and trying all combos, I am only able to get the phone to say it's registered on a network, but none the less, cannot receive or send any texts. Then get another message right after saying I can't connect with network.

My US T-Mobile phone is old and only LTE, but it works fine on T-Mobile here and in the UK and on other networks like Vodafone, etc., and in other countries where my plan works as it would in the US.  I'm fairly tech savvy myself, and with shear determination have been able to get things working when they won't.  This situation with EE has me stumped, I must say.

I think my EE phone might have been a carryover from UK T-Mobile.  Weren't they connected at one time?  But I can't say for sure, as I have had EE for many years now and it always worked just fine everywhere.

Leanne_T

Hi @darlene 

Thanks for coming back to us, have you contacted the manufacturer to see if they can offer any further steps for you to try? 

Leanne.