cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any ideas why EE were unable to accept PAYG top-up payments to my number?

Natasa666
Investigator
Investigator

long time since last online top-up and EE has clearly changed their website. the only link I could find was "anonymous top-up" page to make payment online.

But when I gave my mobile number to make a payment I got the message "We're not able to accept payments to that number. Please try again."

why EE were unable to accept payments to my number? Maybe I was using the wrong payment link, if so any suggestions what link to use in future?

it cant be anything to do with the credit card because i didn't get that far.

many thanks

"anonymous top-up" https://ee.co.uk/bills-payments/mobile/fast-payment-payg

8 REPLIES 8
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

It's the right link & the 1 I would recommend. 

You say it's a long time since you topped-up. Sounds like your PAYG SIM has gone into hibernation.

When did you last use it for a chargeable action? EE PAYG SIMs are deactivated after 6 months of non-use. You then have a further 3 months to call EE to reactivate it before it is lost completely.

You needed to make a chargeable action like making a chargeable call or text, topping up or buying a Pack or Add-on, not just using your mins, texts or data from your pack.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

This is the confusing bit. The SIM is active, the problem is online top-up. 

the SIM has NOT gone into hibernation. it is active and able to send and receive texts / calls.

When did you last use it for a chargeable action?  about 5 minutes ago to send a text a chargeable action. I was also able to receive a call.

it's a long time since I last topped-up, possibly 3 years,  because the balance was in excess of £100 so I didn't need to. However since then the balance has reduced, so I thought I should top-up. 

My EE account doesn't offer the link to top-up or add a credit card for payment. unfortunately the fast payment link above didn't work either.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Natasa666,

I'd recommend contacting our Customer Care Team on 150. They'll be able to access your account to check what is causing the issue.

Thanks

James

As you're able to send texts, what does texting AL to 150 from your no. fully report verbatim (it is free)?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi James

Eventually managed to speak with Customer Care team today who were really helpful, they checked my SIM and online account.

Problems appear to be caused by my still using a T-mobile SIM.  Fix appears to be get a new EE SIM (which has now been ordered),  then change my number over to the new EE SIM.

WARNING to anyone who still has an active T-mobile SIM - expect weird problems. Whilst their SIM may be able to make and receive calls/texts. Any future online account services will be VERY VERY restricted.

Apparently, it is not possible to top-up T-mobile SIM accounts online - only payment by phone. Which worked for me even tho online fast payment still said unable to top-up this number.

No one from EE told me I had to swap T-mobile for an EE SIM or that future My EE experience would be different for T-mobile customers.

A simple email from EE to all T-mobile customers advising them about the SIM swap etc, would have been useful. 

Particularly annoying when calling Customer Care team, was the warning that EE customer services are experiencing VERY high call volumes and the call wait times are longer than usual. So it took a number of attempts to speak with someone.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for coming back to let us know, @Natasa666. That's valuable feedback, I'll pass it over to the team involved with the switch over.

Hopefully others in a similar situation will see your post and it will help them.

Thank you.
Chris

Mossmandy
Explorer

Why can’t top up on the app top up voucher 

@Mossmandy : You don't top-up with a voucher using the app but by text as I told you last time.