cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I need a separate contract for smart watch

Steve2705
Contributor
Contributor

OK I have just been reading on Samsung. Com about the active 2 smart watch and what I've read is as follows "There have been times when you forgot your phone at home, but needed to make a call - like ordering a pizza. Next time, use number sharing. With this feature, your phone and smartwatch can share the same phone number. You'll be able to make and take calls, get app notifications, and more, right on your watch. However, the process will be different depending on your network carrier." So I'm my opinion it looks like the phone company's are destroying this feature with there greed as there are companies that let you share your sim card with your watch, I don't see where the issue is by sharing the number as I could physically share the number if I have a sim card by means of inserting it into my watch, but because the watch is esim I've been told this isn't possible Why? Isn't this possible when I can buy another handset now and move my esim between handsets, come on EE stop the greed and give customers the service they are entitled to, after reading the Samsung Post I believe someone is not telling the full truth about esims. 

17 REPLIES 17
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Steve2705  To have data on the watch it needs a cellular connection and it’s own number for that connection so that’s a 2nd line on your account.    If you took out a tablet contract do you think you should get that included with your phone tariff after all its a 2nd line just like the watch.   

The watch it’s just linked to your account in such a way that calls/texts can be sent/received via the watch but it has its own data allowance and your paying for that.   It’s a separate device to your phone it’s just linked at account level. 

Yes I understand that the watch needs a line to work independently but the point I'm making is the esim should be no different to a physical sim, meaning you should have the options of removing the esim and putting the esim into watch, after all it is just a piece of software which can be deactivated when not in use, and a sim card can be removed from the phone and used in a tablet or a watch that takes a physical sim card, there is no firm rules to say I must use my sim card for my phone only meaning I should be able to use it on whichever device I see fit to use it, if I have unlimited data plan and want to use the sim in my tablet then what's the issue, I'm paying for the data to use how I like, it's all down to the companies taking advantage of the esim to charge more money for a second line which isn't actually needed its just greed in my opinion. 

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @Steve2705.

To get the best experience of using a smart watch and a phone together you'll need a second line. This is so the service can move seamlessly from the phone to the watch when you're out of range of the phone.

An eSIM is more beneficial on a smart watch for a number of reasons, including reducing the physical size of the watch and also improving the ability to make it waterproof.

Jon 

I was really disappointed to discover this. I'm already paying for unlimited data for my Google Pixel 7 Pro. And on top EE want me to pay £7 a month for 10GB of data for the Google watch. 

It's absurd that I can't share my data between my device. Or gift data to my watch the way I do with my other handset. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't have to buy extra data for an apple watch right? You just get unlimited data with the current plan you're on?

Ive always loved EE, the customer service is brilliant but this has me thinking twice about staying with them. 

@Mvk1  No watch can share the phones data allowance.  All smart watches have their own contract and only share the call/text allowance and all have their own data allowance including the Apple Watch,    It’s a 2nd line on your account and it has nothing to do with your phone contract.   It just has the ability to use your phone call/text allowance,  and all smart watches have this type of contract including the Apple Watch.    The price you pay for the Watch tariff includes the data allowance and a connection to the EE network so you can have a cellular connection on that watch.  

Three seem to have this option..smartwatch pairing plan..surprised EE dont.  I was going to buy a smartwatch until i discovered i cant do this with EE.  But out of plan in March..so think on EE

I'm moving to Three soon as my contract is up which isn't too long as I'm
sim only contract.
Tnnithyanand
Explorer

If they wish to provide the option of hooking up to the already existing contract and associated phone number but they won't as this is just greed. Say what you want Chris but the bottom line is that they are offering 10gb for £7 monthly payment. That 10gb indicates which you are already paying via monthly contract. This is to be shared with the watch by bridging  watch's esim and physical or esim on the phone. They can try and charge a one time fee but not to buy as a plan. 

We know that we can add WhatsApp account to a phone or a tablet and link it to a mobile number and carry on making calls and messages on WhatsApp without a SIM card or a SIM data plan so long as we are online (WiFi, 4g or 5g, etc). Same could be done on an lte watch. You are not taking another phone line here but you just bridging the already existing number so you are not making or taking calls simultaneously to two people on your watch and phone. You are only using one or the other on the same number at a time. Bonkers. Having to pay extra doesn't make sense to us but does to them. Give it a year or two it will become normal for carriers to provide for free but for now greedy companies win always.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Tnnithyanand,

If you'd just like to share your phone's data allowance with your watch, you can do this by using Bluetooth mode.

The chargeable watch plan, provides your watch with a standalone mobile data plan which allows you to use your Watch's connected features when out of range of your phone or WiFi.

Hope this helps.

James