cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox UItimate Game Pass - what happens on expiry

claytom3214
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I took out a new broadband contract with EE about a year ago. The contract included 12 months of Xbox UItimate Game Pass. This Game Pass is about to expire. What happens on expiry? I'd like to cancel it but can't see any way of cancelling the Game Pass. I don't want to continue with the Game Pass after it's expired. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

22 REPLIES 22
craigc1970
Investigator
Investigator

I had also got a text  this morning which suggested a simple reply to the txt would cancel and thought great this will be easy!

How wrong was I?

Replied to txt it came back saying I didnt have any active Xbox product....

So I had to phone up which was painful. After three attempts of trying different menu options I finally got through to someone who says they have now removed Game Pass from my account. Utter nonsense but seems the only way is to phone up! 😞

user2000
Contributor
Contributor

This is the kind of nonsense that will make me think twice about renewing my FTTP and mobile contracts later this year.

Says it ends on the 18th, yet the text says 5 days, so that's the 21st - surely on the 19th some sort of button will appear on the website in my profile page to let me cancel this?!

There are various reasons I don't want/cannot phone and I'll need to end up getting my husband to sort this out which is just time out of a busy work day, and time is money.

edit:  went to post on Twitter/X and noticed someone else has the same issue and been told to DM them and they will get it cancelled from there, so hopefully this can be done for me too after I post the same over there.

user2000
Contributor
Contributor

All done on Twitter for me, a bit of waiting on the back and forth for security but pretty painless - Game Pass to cease after the freebie ends on 18th and that's it.

claytom3214
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same text from 150 this morning to reply with "stop xbox" to prevent the £12 charge per month from starting. I replied with "stop xbox" and got "we can't find any xbox products on your account" which is odd since they sent me the text to stop it as I obviously did have an xbox product on my account. Why you can't do this from the online account I've not idea... 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @claytom3214 

Thanks for coming back here. 

If you give us a call on 150, the team will make sure this is removed and no charged will be applied. 

Leanne.

craigc1970
Investigator
Investigator

So it looks like I have cancelled the subscription, but has anyone got any idea how I gain control back of the account?

It still says "Purchased from BT/EE" , when I try to add a product key to purchase again it says "This cannot be used with an existing subscription"

Mine still says this too, but ours is due to expire in May this year as we had some left from before.  I've read about others having trouble with this, but I always intended to just let it expire as I have some old Xbox Live codes that I can use and transfer to Game Pass and you get a better ratio if you are not an existing subscriber.

Has your Game Pass sub completely expired now and it still says "purchased from BT/EE"?

Hopefully when the sub has lapsed then I'll have the control back, but it's not really well administrated I have to say.

user2000
Contributor
Contributor

This is getting ridiculous now -I've had Microsoft tell me that EE still has the billing control hold on my Game Pass account, even though EE say they have now cancelled it.

I'm on Twitter and EE are telling me to get in touch with Microsoft to sort this out.

This is CLEARLY a known problem - is there no-one on here that can point me to the correct person in EE that will actually relinquish control of my Game Pass billing?

https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-Apps-from-BT/Gamepass-Ultimate-Issue/td-p/2259213

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/was-paying-for-game-pass-ultimate-as-an-add-on/3d...

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/bt-customers-lose-control-of-xbox-accounts-after-game-pass-tria...

I've had my Microsoft account for 15 years+, maybe more and if it's going to be hobbled because of this then I'll need to look into what my options are going forward to compel EE/BT to fix this.

As it is I can't add any payment to my Game Pass account as it it still controlled by EE, despite what your systems might say.

Anybody searching for information about Game Pass on EE/BT I would strongly advise thinking twice about signing up, as this problem goes back some time as far as I can make out.

I share your pain on this. I deeply regret taking advantage of the EE offer. I am at a loss what to do now to gain control of my account back. 
I tried phoning  EE and got no where. 

user2000
Contributor
Contributor

So, I'm getting some garbled info on Twitter:

It seems as I already had 4 months left of my Game Pass BEFORE taking the 12 months free, then I still have 3 months left, after cancelling the EE portion last month.

I had the Game Pass from EE in Jan 23, I already had Game Pass til May 23. 

They seem to be telling me that the Game Pass has been added on to the END of my original sub, so that it was going from May 23 until May 24 - well why were they wanting to charge me from Jan 24 then?

Also the way it works is that a month is added onto the subscription when EE have control of the account and that is what was happening - in the first month I had the Game Pass from EE my sub expiration moved to June 23, next month July 23, next month August 23 etc etc up until last month when I cancelled and now it's stuck on May 24 and doesn't move (one year on from the initial expiry I had left, May 23).

This seems a very peculiar way of doing things as I cannot add any payment method to my account so I can pay it MY WAY with Microsoft.

I can only hope that come May 8th 24 my account lapses and I can gain control of it back again, but judging from what other have posted, pretty widespread, over these forums, BT forums and Microsoft forums, (see the links I posted in my previous post) I am not confident.

I really would advise anyone thinking of getting their Game Pass from EE/BT to think again and not to bother as it's just one hassle after another.

There is NO WAY I am losing control of my 15+ year account and if I don't have access to it after May 9th then I will certainly look into whatever legal means are available to me to compel EE to release this.

I have no idea why they have made it so difficult to manage this or why I'm being told that my Game Pass is still active with EE meaning they have had control of it for 16 months by May 24.

What if I already had 2 years remaining before accepting the freebie, are EE/BT really saying that they would have control of my billing for a total of THREE YEARS?!?!   Because going by what I've been told that's exactly what would have happened.

Madness.