cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I click the link for Apple TV trial, the app says it will "renew" today

nothingmatters
Investigator
Investigator

I'm just trying to sign up for the free 6 months, but the iOS app says it will renew on 4th Jan (i.e today), and that it's £8.99 "starting today".

So I'm not sure whether to click subscribe, and it'll automatically apply the free months afterwards? I don't want to click subscribe unless I'm sure.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nothingmatters
Investigator
Investigator

TL;DR

The solution is to edit your link to look like this: tv.apple.com/gb/carrier?p=EE_ATV6M&a=NNNNNNNN

E.g. If you got an link that looks like tv.apple.com/gb/carrier?p=EE_ATV6Mnull=NNNNNNNN, then replace the "null" with "&a". Or if you got a link like tv.apple.com/gb/carrier?p=EE_ATV6M=NNNNNNNN, then just put the "&a" before the "=NNNNNNNN"

@Christopher_G  - I called, and I think I know what's going on here. Hopefully this can help your tech support?

The first link I got automatically looked like this: tv.apple.com/gb/carrier?p=EE_ATV6Mnull=NNNNNNNN (where I've replaced the digits with 'N', as that's unique to me)

That link doesn't work - it takes you to the Apple TV website, but doesn't redeem the trial.

When I called and they sent another link, it looked like this: tv.apple.com/gb/carrier?p=EE_ATV6M&a=NNNNNNNN 

As I happened to be a software engineer and familiar with HTTP, I know that after the question mark "get" URLs have to look like a list of key=value pairs, separated by "&".

So it looks to me that whatever system is generating those initial/automatic URLs isn't (or wasn't) working, because the ampersand and key (e.g &a) was missing.

I tested this theory with the Apple Arcade trial URL, which had the same issue, and simply replaced the "null" with "&a", and it worked for that trial as well.

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @nothingmatters 

I don't think it would say £8.99, if you're taking out a free trial. It may be worth speaking with our Mobile Care team to see if they can help set this up for you.

Chris

nothingmatters
Investigator
Investigator

TL;DR

The solution is to edit your link to look like this: tv.apple.com/gb/carrier?p=EE_ATV6M&a=NNNNNNNN

E.g. If you got an link that looks like tv.apple.com/gb/carrier?p=EE_ATV6Mnull=NNNNNNNN, then replace the "null" with "&a". Or if you got a link like tv.apple.com/gb/carrier?p=EE_ATV6M=NNNNNNNN, then just put the "&a" before the "=NNNNNNNN"

@Christopher_G  - I called, and I think I know what's going on here. Hopefully this can help your tech support?

The first link I got automatically looked like this: tv.apple.com/gb/carrier?p=EE_ATV6Mnull=NNNNNNNN (where I've replaced the digits with 'N', as that's unique to me)

That link doesn't work - it takes you to the Apple TV website, but doesn't redeem the trial.

When I called and they sent another link, it looked like this: tv.apple.com/gb/carrier?p=EE_ATV6M&a=NNNNNNNN 

As I happened to be a software engineer and familiar with HTTP, I know that after the question mark "get" URLs have to look like a list of key=value pairs, separated by "&".

So it looks to me that whatever system is generating those initial/automatic URLs isn't (or wasn't) working, because the ampersand and key (e.g &a) was missing.

I tested this theory with the Apple Arcade trial URL, which had the same issue, and simply replaced the "null" with "&a", and it worked for that trial as well.

Christopher_G

That's really interesting, @nothingmatters. I've reached out to a colleague who works closely on this promotion to ask them to take a look at it.

Thank you for getting back to us with this information. 🙂

Chris

nothingmatters
Investigator
Investigator

No worries @Christopher_G 

I posted it in a few of the issues on this topic - seems to have helped out at least one other person https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Offers-Add-ons/Re-Apple-TV-plus-add-on-not-working/m-p/1344160/highlig...

Christopher_G

That's what it's all about, @nothingmatters 🙂

Thank you!

Chris

Absolute genius! This solution really works. Thank you 😊

Thank you so much. How ridiculous that EE are sending an incorrectly formatted link out.

We didn't stand a chance!

Thank you so much. Me and my sister-in-law both tried activating the free 6 month Apple TV+ trial today and received a similar automated EE link to you but there was no 'null' between the 'M' and '=' so we just insterted the missing &a and it finally worked.

Interestingly we both received identical wrongly generated automated links, even the NNNNNNNNN number at the end was the same ending in ....1559 so that last bit isn't as unique as we thought.

Apple support were beyond terrible. EE support were really helpful but weren't able to fix the issue (I'll tell them what the fix is when they call back tomorrow).

For anyone with an existing Apple TV+ subscription I cancelled mine a little over 24 hrs before the next payment was due (last week) to get the full value of that paid up month. I then had to wait until today when the previous subscription expired before activating this 6 month trial. I didn't even have to logout and back in again on my smart TV Apple TV+ app. In 'View Subscriptions' it changed from '£8.99 (1 month) subscription' to 'Expired' this morning and after successful activating this EE offer  just now it now says 'Apple TV Channel (promotion). Your EE plan includes Apple TV+'. Also my viewing history/ added shows from when I was a paying Apple TV+ subscriber are all still there.

Thanks  @Chimpass for documenting there might not be a '"null". Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to edit my 'solution' post, which would be helpful. Is there any way to do that @Christopher_G ?