cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expensive upgrading with EE

TOMSK
Investigator
Investigator

I have been with EE for about 7 years and I'm due my next upgrade but I'm shocked at how expensive EE have become against their competitors. On a third party site I can grab the Samsung Galaxy S24+ on a 24 month unlimted data contract for £55 with Vodaphone. The equivarlent deal with EE is around £60 for a 24 month phone contract mixed in with  a 36 month data contract that nearly doubles after the first year. Which means after the first year it will jump up to £75 besides the regular annual increase as well. There is zero incentive to stay.

7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@TOMSK : Shouldn't it be a 36 month phone contract together with a 24 month airtime contract?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@TOMSK   From a 3d party seller,  go directly to Vodafone.   3rd party sellers are always cheaper than going direct.    So not a true comparison.    It’s a 24 month air time contract with a 24 or 36 month device contract, if you go with a 36 month device contact you can then if you choose a sim only contract once the 24 month air time contact is up and continue paying the remaining 12 months of the device contract.  That sim only can be a lot cheaper. 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Make sure that VF (not V-Ph!) provides sufficient coverage & service in all the locations you'll be using your phone, if you're seriously considering a move.

Not all networks are the same. This would apply to any potential change of operator - it's far better to have coverage shock when testing using a PAYG SIM first.

Suggestions of ensuring a level playing field with price comparisons are all also valid.

Thanks for all your replies but it doesn't detract from how overly expensive EE has become. Absolutely no value anymore for loyal customers when you can  get a better deal for £55 a month for a 24 month contract all in with another carrier. In fact it looks like EE are actively ripping off customers.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

I note that you refer to being "due" an upgrade, are you happy with your existing phone? If so, have you considered moving to SIM-only to reduce your costs - if pricing is a major factor for you. It's not compulsory to change phones every 2 years unless "the latest & greatest" is important to you, in which case that comes with cost implications.

EE have never claimed to be the cheapest network, but be sure that any potential new MNO has the coverage & service levels you need, wherever & whenever you need them.

Yes coverage is very good  with Vodaphone and  their deal is far better than what EE now provide. Upgrading with EE use to be a no brainer but not anymore. Thanks for your replies but they have been far from helpful apart from trying to justify how exspensive EE now is. Switching carrier seems to be the better option for me.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @TOMSK 

I am sorry to hear you are thinking of leaving EE. 

If you give us a call on 150 our mobile guides will discuss your upgrade options for your account.

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.