cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call from EE using this number 01438989230 saying about offers

blacasper
Explorer

I got this call fro  "EE" they pronounced my name wrong seem to know I have been with ee for a few years and they were saying I can get offers (that are running out soon) it sound more to me like a scam call centre when I have spoken to ee I only hear them and not others

The number that called is 01438989230 I am not sure if it is real so I'm asking on here if anyone knows if this is right

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@blacasper : It is from Step Change, 1 of EE's Direct partners

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@blacasper : It is from Step Change, 1 of EE's Direct partners

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi

Thanks for that

u can never tell nowadays 

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & trust it is now sorted.

shankly1985
Contributor
Contributor

I just received a call from this number. Saying can reduce my bill..... OK he said is this..... I said that's correct he then asked for my full name I told him... But he then says for security reasons can you tell me the first and last digits of my password? **bleep** I said nooo he then said can you tell me your total for last bill I said you tell me you should know. 

Goes onto say he can't for security reasons but if I Google the number I would see its EE calling.

I call this bs why would he ask for my password start and end? 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @shankly1985

Thanks for coming here. 

You can view numbers our selected partners will call you from to talk to you about additional products and services, in our What numbers will EE partners call from? Help page. 

If you get a call and from a number not listed, please text CALL followed by the number to 7726 and our security team will get this looked into. 

Leanne.

Hi Leanne

Thanks for replying back.
The number I was called from 01438 989 230 is listed but can I ask why would they ask for password information? and also if I did tell them how would they confirm its correct without knowing my password? 

Step Change: should not know my account password! 

@shankly1985   The caller's system generates a random question to ask you, so they would only see the two letters they asked you for, or the amount of you last bill. It is a similar system all call centres use, even when you call them, if you don't answer you don't get past go.

This is even more worrying tbh 

No information about my password should leave EE period. 

For me to answer the question that means they know least some of my password information. 

Most companies that I know claims that they would never call and ask for your account information including passwords. 

EE This is shocking behaviour! All you doing is confusing the situation further for EE customers that are not very computer savy. 

Is they away I can opt out of all these extra companies EE use? I do not want to be contacted by any of them other than EE themselves. 

@shankly1985   This is not EE but is a user forum. I do not work for EE, but am just trying to help you by explaining how and why the questions are asked.

For your protection, any legitimate call centre should be validating who they are calling - just like you did by asking on here. To do so they need to know some random bit of your details to make sure it is you they are talking to.  If anything, I would be a lot more suspicions of someone trying to call me without knowing who I was and being able to validate the info. 

The password you gave for EE and their partners to log in and to identify you should be unique, not one you use for every online service you use. Each company will have their own way to make sure it is you they are talking to. And as with any company, it is your option not to answer sales calls, and for you to call them.