Roaming USA

Maestro100
Investigator
Investigator

Once again my roam abroad pass for the USA doesn't work, so unable to use my phone. I activated the pass in the UK before I left for the  USA this time. Why does it not work?

By the way I have turned on roaming on my phone and familiar with how it works. Years ago on my other EE phones, they automatically found a USA network when arrived in the USA and my phone would work.

Last time, I contacted customer service via chat and it took hours going backwards and forwards and a solution was not found. Can anyone help resolve this issue?

Thanks 

12 REPLIES 12
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @Maestro100

Welcome to the community. 

By activating roaming on your phone did you text ROAMING to 150?

If you try to manually search for a network does anything show?

What phone are you using?

Speak soon, 

Katie

bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

The Roam Abroad pass is just a billing add-on to reduce costs, but your phone still need permission to connect to foreign networks. This is why you also need to enable roaming - which is normally done by texting ROAMING to 150 before leaving the UK.

The phone setting that many people confuse, is for data-roaming - this just means using mobile data whilst roaming. There's no setting for voice-roaming or text-roaming, but it would be the equivalent.

Maestro100
Investigator
Investigator

I believe I did this before. Do I have to do this each time I go abroad? For example when I travel to Europe, my phone seems to switch network and work.

Katie_B

That would indicate roaming is active on your EE account @Maestro100

Does manually searching for a network bring anything up?

Katie

Maestro100
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for your help. I had to initially switch of various settings so it could find a US network and then switch them back on on one by one.

Katie_B

Thanks for getting back to me @Maestro100

Now you have a found a US network can you connect to it OK?

Katie

Yes thanks, I can now connect to a US network which is great. Seems that I had to select a US network manually whilst Mobile Data and Roaming Services were turned off, and then switch those services back on individually to get the network to work.

Katie_B

Thanks for letting us know @Maestro100

I am happy to hear this is now working. 

Enjoy your visit to the States. 

Katie

Maestro100
Investigator
Investigator

The last time I was in the US, EE systems were down so my text to attempt to activate Roaming did not go through but the payment for £25 Roam Abroad Pass did so I paid for a service that I couldn't use. I attempted to get a refund on my return to the UK so rang up customer service which said it would call  me back but it did not. I  am now once again  back in the USA, but this time, I was able to send text before I left to activate Roaming but your systems were down so I couldn't buy the Roam Abroad Pass for £25. Your system hadn't been working for days. Since my arrival in the US, I have now only just managed to purchase the Roam Abroad Pass but cannot access a US network. It is really important that I can access my data due to safety and travel.  The message/help feature within the app doesn't work and not able to contact customer service whilst abroad. Unfortunately the service is not good enough as I pay quite a bit of money to EE each month for various devices. Furthermore, EE should simplify using your data in the USA. Years ago, my phone would pick up a US network without me having to send a text message etc and purchase a pass before I left the UK. Furthermore, I have been with EE for 20+ years and am thinking of leaving as the customer service has significantly deteriorated over the years

The last time I was in the US, EE systems were down so my text to attempt to activate Roaming did not go through but the payment for the £25 Roam Abroad Pass did, so I paid for a service that I couldn't use. I attempted to get a refund on my return to the UK, so rang up customer service which said it would call me back but it did not.

I am now once again back in the USA, but this time, I was able to send the text before I left to activate Roaming but your systems were down so I couldn't buy the Roam Abroad Pass for £25. Your system hadn't been working for days. Since my arrival in the US, I have now only just managed to purchase the Roam Abroad Pass but cannot access a US network. It is really important that I can access my data due to safety and travel reasons. The message/help feature within the app doesn't work and I'm not able to contact customer service whilst abroad.

Unfortunately, the service provided by EE is not good enough. I pay quite a bit of money to EE each month for various devices. Furthermore, EE should simplify using your data in the USA. Years ago, my phone would pick up a US network without me having to send a text message etc and purchase a pass before I left the UK. Furthermore, I have been with EE for 20+ years and I'm thinking of leaving as the customer service has significantly deteriorated over the years.