cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can not receive incoming calls

RichardsOffice
Explorer

I  have the same issue; often friends phoning me get a unobtainable message if I'm in an area with low to moderate signal. If your phone allows you to do this, chose a different 'Preferred network type' that has a stronger signal.

9 REPLIES 9
RichardsOffice
Explorer

I  have the same issue; often friends phoning me get a unobtainable message if I'm in an area with low to moderate signal. If your phone allows you to do this, chose a different 'Preferred network type' that has a stronger signal.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

An NU-tone would be generated if the destination number is not datafilled on its host network, thus it has nothing to do with the coverage levels you may be experiencing.

There are very few circumstances where altering the preferred network type from auto, will improve service.

RichardsOffice
Explorer

>>There are very few circumstances where altering the preferred network type from auto, will improve service.<<

I beg to differ; I’m referring to Androids and not iPhones. I could prove right now that this is indeed the case, sitting in my office on my Xiaomi phone, if I select 5G or LTE (Auto is not an option) which has between 2 & 3 bars of signal and ring myself most times I will get “. . currently unavailable, please call again later” message, however if I switch to 3G preferred which gets full bars I never get this issue.

However my SIM’s are not branded EE but they are using EE network (one was Talk Home & the other is RWG) both have this issue. I have had several conversations with RWG who tell me they are well aware of this issue and are in discussion with EE/BT and hope to get a resolution soon.

@RichardsOffice wrote:

>>There are very few circumstances where altering the preferred network type from auto, will improve service.<<

if I switch to 3G preferred which gets full bars I never get this issue.

EE don't have a 3G network, so by using this config you're limiting the phone to 2G - not a preferable scenario for the majority of users!

It's unwise to base advice on workarounds that may work on MVNO providers due to issues unique to those operators.

RichardsOffice
Explorer

Yes I wondered about EE's 3G. OK so when I set my phones preferences to 3G I'm actually connecting to 2G, that's not good 😞

However if I chose either LTE or 5G I get the same issue as smajupuria has reported.  Can not receive incoming calls

RichardsOffice
Explorer

Yes I am pursuing it with my provider, however some of my friends are also having this issue as well, and two are directly using EE but they both just accept it sometimes this happens, no doubt when they are in a low signal area. I think this issue is more prevalent with EE and other providers that piggyback off  EE than people just realize.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

An interesting exercise would be to check whether affected users have a VoLTE-compatible device/SIM combination.

Have your friends reported their issues to EE? If not, they should - coverage levels should not directly be an issue here.

No none of my friends phones have the option for VoLTE nor have they reported this issue to EE and unless it causes them stress I doubt they will bother (their wives can’t get hold of them when we’re at our club) However I can chose Make calls using Wi-Fi, I haven’t tried that yet.

Just tried  Prefer 5G with the 'Make calls using Wi-Fi active' then called myself using a 3 network SIM and on the second call I got the “. . currently unavailable, please call again later” message.