cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone can’t call or text 150 in America

Amalie12345
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I’ve paid the £25 roaming add on so I can use my mobile in the USA. It’s supposed to allow me to use my phone as if I’m in the UK but I cannot receive or make calls. Network is SOS only. I can’t even text or call 150 for advice. 

I have already tried resetting auto network to manual and back again. I’ve tried restarting my device, I’ve tried all the manual networks but nothing works. I can send Apple sms and use WhatsApp message with my data but that’s it. Very disappointing, especially considering the spike in price for the add on. Any help would be greatly appreciated 

12 REPLIES 12
Chris274
Investigator
Investigator

I have exactly the same issue. In the US for the next 3 weeks and desperately need my phone.

All they'll tell you is to text roam to 150... even though texts are blocked!! 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

The billing add-on is merely to reduce charges, it doesn't enable the roaming facility which allows your phone to connect to foreign networks. An inability to make or receive calls is a natural consequence of not having network coverage caused by lack of roaming.

Are you definitely using mobile data for those internet functions, or are you using WiFi? And does your phone show a connection to any US networks?

Chris274
Investigator
Investigator

I definitely have access to mobile data, its a little unreliable and will drop out every 30mins or so, but speeds are good.

If I try to make a call or text, the data connection and signal strength will drop, and the phone will say no service for a few mins.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

That sounds like a VoLTE issue, the network you're connected to probably relies on 4G-voice in that area and doesn't have 2G/3G CSFB available.

Does VoLTE (Android) or 4G-call (Apple) show onscreen?

The resolution is likely to either enable VoLTE or manually find another network that has 2G/3G availability.

So I am on a Samsung s23 ultra. There was no VoLTE symbol on my notification bar so I think you were correct.

I managed to speak to ee customer services using my partners phone. They said I had roaming switched on for the EU but not worldwide. They changed the settings to worldwide roaming and everything is now working OK! 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for coming back to us and letting us know this is now sorted for you @Chris274 

I hope you have an amazing time 🙂

Leanne.

Hi Leanne, 

How do I resolve this when I cannot call EE to check if my roaming is worldwide? My data works without wifi and i my EE account online shows the £25 USA bundle has been added 

many thanks in advance 

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @Amalie12345

Welcome to the community. 

If your mobile data works OK without WiFi this indicates a network connection is available. 

Are you able to check if a network shows when you are not connected to WiFi?

Did you activate roaming by texting ROAMING to 150 before leaving the UK?

Katie

bristolian
Legend
Legend

If you've proven mobile data is working and you therefore have a network connection, roaming is activated. Can you send & receive SMS OK?

If so, and with you being in the US, this may be a VoLTE issue preventing 4G-calling. US networks now rely on VoLTE (the technology behind 4G-calling) without having any 2G/3G fallback.

If so, there will be 2 ways to resolve this:

1: Ensure VoLTE is enabled in your phone's menu, and that "VoLTE" (Android) or "4G-call" (Apple) is shown on-screen

2: Do a manual network search, try connecting to each available network in-turn and see if any will accept a connection on 2G/3G if available.