cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving OTP from Amazon

BM_Rob
Investigator
Investigator

I've been with EE for nearly 1 year. I receive OTPs from my different organisations. I'm setting up 2FA on Amazon but when I enter my mobile number I don't receive a OTP message. 

I've spoken to Amazon and they said contact EE. I spoke to EE (150 - Network team) yesterday and they said that the most likely cause is that Amazon are sending the SMS from an (international?) origin that is not known to EE and because of the large volumes of SMS from that origin they may have been marked as spam and therefore filtered and not delivered to my number. I was advised to contact Amazon. Amazon are in denial that it is their issue.

There must be a team / department within EE that communicates with other 3rd party organisations concerning where OTP SMSs originate in order to flag them as legitimate on the SMS spam filtering system - otherwise all OTPS would end up marked as spam. 

Please can someone involve the correct team / department within EE to help resolve this issue? 

I'm between a rock and a hard place.

In my view, I'm a customer of EE and Amazon but it doesn't seen correct that I am tasked with resolving issues between EE and Amazon. 

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the joys of dealing with first-line support (on both sides) when an issue probably needs back-end changes.

You should persist with EE CS, the explanation you've been given is potentially feasible but did they offer to check, make sure or otherwise escalate it? Or were you expected to just accept the explanation and move on?

I would assume the latter.

I've provided IT solutions for many years. I know it is difficult to reach the correct team/dept. 

EE 1st line checked with second line and provided the explanation and it is feasible. There was no offer to check messages that had been sent to my number - perhaps they are not kept? 

I would expect to see other people having similar issues - but maybe they don't log off/clear their cache/have more than 1 mobile with a different operator! 

I think I need to start at the top of the organisations.  

Timattwood
Visitor

Same and no good response 

My issue is now resolved. It has taken time and perseverance.

EE was adamant it had nothing to do with them and they were correct. 

I investigated by using my sim in different phones IoS/Android - no joy. I exchanged/replaced my EE SIM - no joy. I got a PAYG EE SIM and I was able to add this new new temporary number to my Amazon account and receive OTP SMS. So - it had something to do with my number. I couldn't  remove the PAYG number from Amazon so I called their CS. I was routed (by chance) to James D in Ireland in the Account Management department. James removed the temp PAYG number from my Amazon account; couldn't find anything wrong with the account but was intrigued and raised a case. After some investigation he contacted me and revealed that from approx midday on 22 Sep SMS messages from Amazon were being returned with "number has opted out".  I hadn't purchased from AZ during that time but I had purchased from a 3rd party who used Amazon to fulfil/deliver the order. The order was delayed and I couldn't see a way to stop order delay notifications SMSs on the third party website - so I replied STOP to one of the messages. I hadn't appreciated I was telling Amazon to stop sending messages - indeed ALL messages - I had assumed it was the third party sending me messages from 65551.  Amazon stopped using 65551 after 22 Sep and now their messages appear from "Amazon". 

I lost contact with James over Xmas - he always called me - I didn't have any contact details. Attempts to unblock my number through Amazon CS failed. Attempts to find someone else in Amazon through the third party I had ordered from failed. Recorded delivery letters to Amazon failed. An email to the CEO of Amazon UK got a response from the exec team. They passed my problem to James - since he knew a lot about it.

Nothing from James, but then it started working - I could add my EE mobile number to Amazon and receive OTP. 

A week or so later, James called and said it should be working. I confirmed this. He said he hadn't forgotten me but explained because Amazon had changed from sending messages from 65551 to Amazon the unblocking had proved more difficult. Plus the fact that a third party had been involved didn't help. It also didn't help that I was the only person reporting this issue - i.e. it wasn't affecting many people - so it wasn't high priority.

So, perseverance and an email to the CEO is the answer.

Thanks for your help BM_Rob, I am having the exact same issue myself.  It's so frustrating being unable to log into my Amazon account due to the OTP not coming to my phone.  I have tried to stop the OTP system on Amazon twice now, however I receive a email stating they will be in contact within 24-48 hours, yet nothing happens and I am left being unable to sign into my account.  I haven't been as lucky as you neither when phoning Amazon, the women I spoke to was not much help!  I therefore wondered if you're able to give me the email address of the CEO so I can email please? 
thanks in advance 

kelly 

Sent you a PM. Good luck.

Thank you for your help and the PM BM_Rob.