cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheapest way to use Roam Abroad?

LynnG
Investigator
Investigator

Just some advice. I've always defaulted to using Roam Abroad pass in past, but at £25 it's ridiculous now, plus no option any longer to use and pay for it oro rata for a week, as I've found out. So, for 7 days in Spain is it better to use the £2.29 per day roaming cost, or does it get used up very quickly? What's peoples experience of it? I will mainly be on WIFi and won't be 'doom scrolling' I'll be too busy(!) and use whatsapp for contacting people, i wont be using FB etc, but any tips to keep cost down would be brilliant. 😊 thanks! 

2 REPLIES 2
bristolian
Legend
Legend

The monthly roaming pass & daily charge both achieve the exact same end result within the EU, that your UK allowances apply abroad.

If you're only in the EU for 7days, then 7 x £2.29 is £16.03, a clear saving on £25. The charge will be triggered any day you use your phone on a mobile network, be it for sending a text message, using mobile data or any received/dialled voice call.

Your alternatives are to avoid any use of a mobile network to prevent any roaming charges being incurred. Or to use mobile network coverage but avoid any & all chargeable use:

Disable mobile data & data-roaming, do not answer or make any direct-dialled voice calls, and do not send any text messages.

Which option you choose is your preference, and how much you value a £16 saving.

Thanks, I sort of assumed the daily charge would be cheaper, but I hadn't realised it woukd give you same 'useage' as the Roam Abroad pass, thought it might be inferior so to speak! I had already thought about disabling stuff, but just a bit concerned about communications from my taxi service when there I.e them  being unable to contact me! Thank you for replying!