cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect on international roaming

DottyOwl
Explorer

I'm in NZ with a UK Samsung A40. Bought a Roam Further Pass but phone not finding or connecting to any NZ mobile networks. I have roaming and mobile data turned on. Is this likely to be an EE issue, a Samsung issue or something else? Any ideas appreciated. 

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@DottyOwl : As you are on contract, did you activate roaming on your EE a/c before you left UK by texting ROAMING to 150? Having a roaming billing add-on doesn't of itself activate roaming on your a/c. Having roaming activated on your EE a/c, not just on your device, is crucial to using your contract SIM abroad.

Often just rebooting the phone is the simple remedy. Also try selecting a network manually rather than auto. Otherwise you need to call CS to get your roaming activated. Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. on Skype over WiFi. It should be free. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Hi
Thanks. Yes, I've activated roaming at £25 per month, confirmation from EE
by text.
I tried turning phone on and off, made no difference. Can't select a
network as it can't find any - although my husband's having no trouble on
O2.
It's very odd but I may have to call - but they're not open on NZ time atm!!

DottyOwl
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @DottyOwl,

Did you also activate roaming by texting ROAMING to 150?

You won't be able to use your add-on if roaming is barred on your EE account.

James

@DottyOwl wrote:
Hi
Thanks. Yes, I've activated roaming at £25 per month

This is a billing add-on, to reduce the cost of roaming. It is the free roaming facility which enables access to foreign networks and thus coverage abroad.

The former is what you've paid for, the latter is what I suspect you've not done - this is normally by texting ROAMING to 150 before leaving the UK. Did you do this?

Without roaming being active, you will have no access to foreign networks and thus explain all your symptoms.

No, for £25 you activated a roaming billing add-on. You didn't activate the roaming permission on your a/c which is free. Now you'll need to call CS to get it activated.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)