cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use WhatsApp to talk free in South Asia

IVORYsaint222
Visitor

I’m travelling to Asia, and can’t find anywhere to speak to any human in EE! 150 is not answering my question! How do I know if I can use WhatsApp to text, call and video free? 

4 REPLIES 4
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@IVORYsaint222  you will be charged if using mobile data, but it should be free if you are able to connect to WiFi.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@IVORYsaint222 : WhatsApp uses data for whatever functions it provides (I'm not familiar with any other than messaging). Outside the EU you will need to buy a data add-on to use it.

Outside the EU, you cannot use your usual UK allowances there but will need to pay the charges or buy roaming add-ons as set out in e.g. https://ee.co.uk/help/mobile/roaming/roaming-costs/countries/india.

If you are on contract, remember to text ROAMING to 150 before you leave UK to ensure the roaming ability is enabled on your account.

If you are on PAYG, make sure you have already used your PAYG SIM to make a call or text in the UK.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Or you can use WiFi if you can find it.

https://faq.whatsapp.com/514799537162613/?helpref=hc_fnav 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

There is a voice add-on giving 60minutes call-time globally for £14.05 - given data costs in some Asian countries, it may well work out cheaper to make standard direct-dialled voice calls unless you'd prefer to be constantly tied to WiFi-hotspots.

All different options.