Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calls/issues when no signal

Jannen
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi this is seriously doing my head in.

At my work I have no mobile signal. I have a new S23 Ultra and the WiFi calling is not working at all. I tried everything, resets etc and even called EE tech support. The phone rings for the caller but my phone doesn't ring. I can't make calls out either, it just says 'not registered on network'. 

I have strong WiFi at work.

The weird thing is, even if I turn my phone completely off, calling my number from another phone it rings for the caller! Like my phone is on. So somehow EE thinks my phone is on when it's not actually on. 

These two issues must be related...

Anyone ideas how to sort? Please....

14 REPLIES 14
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Virgin Media certainly supports WiFi-calling, I use it heavily myself.

You should be able to use the flight mode method to force zero mobile coverage when connected to another router,

Jannen
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I tried it both with my S23 ultra and my old Note here at work. If I turn airplane mode on and keep WiFi, not phones give me a "turn off flight mode to make this call" prompt.

I did it before but will test it again with both when home and with my EE router. Thanks guys for your help. I let u know asap

Jannen
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi. Ok I have managed to narrow down the issue is now with my work WiFi.

I did lot of testing home with different phones and testing all settings etc: so finally at home with my EE router I can turn on Flight mode with WiFi and WiFi calls do work fine.

So the issue is with work WiFi. The provider to our business is Virgin Media but they seem to use VPN thats located in Ireland. (Online everything defaults to Ireland, maps, webpages etc)

That somehow doesn't allow WiFi calls to be made.

Not sure what's next.. I have tried different VPN settings/apps on my phonebut doesnt make any difference.

😞

bristolian
Legend
Legend

EE WiFi-calling is intended for use in the UK and not abroad, it can sometimes work but not supported.

If the VPN is giving you an Irish IP, I would presume VoWiFi is being geo-blocked.

Jannen
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi. Just wanted to give big thanks for your help here.

EE doesn't seem to allow WiFi calling abroad, so even if I'm in UK our company broadband is located virtually in Ireland...and EE doesn't like it.

I have also learned that it doesn't help for me to use any VPN apps on my phone as WiFi call data is apparantely always channeled outside/separated to any other data on the phone. 

I have come to the solution now to get a personal Skype number. So when I'm not reachable at work, calls are forwarded to Skype app and can answer now with no probs over normal WiFi connection.

The only thing mysterious is still why calling my number it still rings for the other caller, even if I have no signal...

Thanks again

Janne