Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calls/issues when no signal

Jannen
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi this is seriously doing my head in.

At my work I have no mobile signal. I have a new S23 Ultra and the WiFi calling is not working at all. I tried everything, resets etc and even called EE tech support. The phone rings for the caller but my phone doesn't ring. I can't make calls out either, it just says 'not registered on network'. 

I have strong WiFi at work.

The weird thing is, even if I turn my phone completely off, calling my number from another phone it rings for the caller! Like my phone is on. So somehow EE thinks my phone is on when it's not actually on. 

These two issues must be related...

Anyone ideas how to sort? Please....

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bristolian
Legend
Legend

EE WiFi-calling is intended for use in the UK and not abroad, it can sometimes work but not supported.

If the VPN is giving you an Irish IP, I would presume VoWiFi is being geo-blocked.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Jannen 

Welcome to the community.

Do the same issues happen when you're connected to other WiFi routers?

Chris

Jannen
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi Chris

Ive tried but there's either a mobile signal that then allows the call. Or if I turn on Flight mode with wifi on, it just gives me then the 'No network' prompt

EE tech support said everything is fine on my account. 

The WiFi is at work and is with Virgin Media business.

Thanks

Janne

Christopher_G

I understand, thanks @Jannen.

So does that mean the issue is similar when you're connected to the other WiFi?

Chris

Jannen
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi

At work I have 0 signal indoors, that's the difference. I've tried with WiFi at home and I'm a store, but with both these I have some mobile signal. So not exactly the same.

I can't understand why my phone appears to be accesible to someone trying to call me. It rings to them as normal, but my phone doesn't receive any calls at all. 

I feel like my account is somehow messed up with EE

Thanks 

Christopher_G

Thanks, @Jannen 

It sounds like it could be a technical issue. I can only suggest speaking to our technical support team again so they can look into this further with you.

Chris

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Most recent Android phones have an option to toggle between "mobile-preferred" & "WiFi-preferred" for VoWiFi - this is usually set to mobile-preferred by default but toggling this may allow for testing in your scenario.

The calling party receiving a ringtone when your phone is off, is odd - VF & O2 used to be configured in this way, but both Orange & EE have only ever given a ringtone when the UE (terminal device) has been reached. Short of a call divert being inplace, I can't immediately think of a reason for this.

Jannen
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

It's so odd. And bad as I can't be reached when I'm at work, and can't trust voicemail as it seems its not forwarded there for the above reason.

I have swapped between these WiFi preferred and mobile preferred but doesn't make any difference, unfortunately...

My phone has all the latest updates and no other issues at all. WiFi works fine, calls ok when have signal etc, just WiFi calling not 🚫

Appreciate your help alot!

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Having troubleshooted a similar case first-hand recently, I used the following to prove a point:

With WiFi-calling set to WiFi-preferred, enable flight mode and then enable WiFi. Once WiFi-connects, toggle WiFi-calling off/on.

If WiFi-calling still refuses to engage here, then there's clearly a fault somewhere and you'd need to prove the phone on another router, and another EE phone on the same router. A 2-way SIM-swap between otherwise working EE-phones is another good test.

Jannen
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi. Just done more testing.

I have tried several times the airplane mode but with WiFi on, but it just keeps complaining about Mobile Network not Available. This is with WiFi preferred option.

I tested it now with my old Note 10 with same SIM card and I have the same issue with WiFi calling not working. So this rules out any issue with my main phone itself.

So I think the two diagnoses are:

1. Something is wrong with my SIM/EE number/EE account?

2. The broadband/WiFi at work is provided by Virgin Media. It's fast, but is it possible VM doesn't allow EE WiFi calls?

I've tried to replicate it somewhere else but wherever I can try WiFi there's always a bit of mobile signal.

Wish this could be fixed soon. Missed yesterday a super important call 😞

Thanks all!