WiFi calling

BoyJohn
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

WiFi calling is available on my Moto g8 Plus, but not on my wife's Moto g9 Plus. We're both on PAYG, but I have a Subscription Pack. Is that why, or is it to do with phone models?

Thanks and Happy New Year

15 REPLIES 15
Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

If the g9 is capable of "WiFi Calling" then there will be an option to enable "WiFi Calling" in "Settings"?

BoyJohn
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

According to Motorola/Lenovo, WiFi calling is available on the Moto g9 Plus, but is 'carrier dependent', so the problem seems to be that EE haven't enabled it, which is a bit crap, really.

Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Checked on EE website it states: “WiFi Calling is available to anyone with EE who has a compatible device.” See https://ee.co.uk/help/mobile/manage-use/using-phone-features/use-wifi-calling#article-mobile-2 

Have you checked the settings on the g9? There should be one to switch WiFi calling on/off.

BoyJohn
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks, Storm500.

The EE list of Motorola phones is very short - just 5 of them - and doesn't include the g9 (although my g8, an earlier model is included). Strange when the phone itself is WiFi calling enabled. This from Motorola/Lenovo:

Moto G9 Plus does support WiFi calls. However, your network provider has to both offer WiFi calls and support it for your specific model in order for it to work. All of our more recent phones released in the UK offer WiFi calling, but unfortunately that doesn't mean that the networks supports the option for all of them.

It's a pity because EE had the best coverage round here, but the signal is weak to non-existent, although I can sometimes pick it up on my g8.

I'm wondering if I get a SIM from another supplier that does support WiFi calling on the Moto g9 and put it in the second SIM slot, I might have more success.

Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Have you checked the WiFi calling settings on the g9?

Edit: I just checked if my iPhone is listed. It’s not but WiFi Calling works.

BoyJohn
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Yes. On my g8 they are in Settings>Mobile network>Advanced.

On the g9, they don't exist

Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Try swapping your SIM over to the g9 and see if the settings appear.

BoyJohn
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Good idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks 

Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

You could also check that g9’s OS is up to date.