cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tarskavaig Mast needs APN Reset

glacierguy
Contributor
Contributor

Since the beginning of November 2023 the Tarskavaig mast on the Isle of Skye has been misconfigured. IPv4 is no longer working. This means that my 4G Router cannot connect using the default EE APN. I have tried calling EE customer support to no avail - they have no idea what I'm talking about.

The Tarskavaig mast needs an APN reset.

Please!

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Radio sites don't route data to specific APNs, they just provide coverage. Data routing is a core network function.

What are the symptoms you are having?

glacierguy
Contributor
Contributor

Symptoms are no internet after more than a year with good internet. Two households affected. B535 log error WAN connection INTERNET_VOICE_R_UMTS1:IPv4 failed. Similar to issues in thread "IPv4 not working with default APN (dual stack)". Tarskavaig mast is the only one we can "see".

bristolian
Legend
Legend

I'm intrigued by the reference to UMTS, given that site only carries 4G.

Do you have EE phones, and are they similarly affected?

I'm not surprised that you got the reaction from CS that you did, but loss of data traffic should be picked up by performance metrics.

Yes, have EE sims in iphones. With EE sim 1 in iphone, good 4G broadband. With EE sim 2 in Huawei 535 no internet connection at router, no signal strength leds illuminated (prior to problem, all illuminated). With EE sim 2 in phone, good 4G broadband. With EE sim 1 in router, nothing.

glacierguy
Contributor
Contributor

FYI I have just travelled to St Andrews with the 535-333 and original EE sim. Power on ..... good connection, good internet. In fact I am posting this using the connection. No changes to APN: everywhere/eesecure/secure/pap/ipv6 & ipv4.

There is something up with the Tarskavaig mast.

I recognise that no-one at EE will do anything about it.

@glacierguy   So the router doesn’t work with a sim that works in phone is that correct?   If that’s the case have you tried just factory resetting the router ? 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

There may well be a config issue with that individual site, but to get EE support to investigate that - you'll need to take a particular approach. APNs are configured on the core network not individual radio access sites.

If your EE phone works in that site's coverage footprint well, then the majority of other users - notwithstanding this is a remote location with only 4G800 service - will likely have the same experience.

Reporting that your router is not working there, and going through the requested tests, could yet be the quickest way.

Thanks for reply. My two calls to customer service have both ended the same way. When they realise that I'm using a router not supplied by EE, my Huawei 535-333, they say the router is the problem and they're not responsible for sorting out a problem with a 3rd party router.

The irony there is that my first attempt at getting 4G in my remote area was to order the full EE router & sim, but that wouldn't work no matter how many levels of technical support I penetrated. It was only through persistence and trial and error that I got it to work with the Huawei.

glacierguy
Contributor
Contributor

I brought the 535-333 and original SIM to St Andrews, plugged it in, works perfectly with no alteration to the settings which now most definitely do not work on Isle of Skye (having worked for about 18 months prior).

The Tarskavaig mast is misconfigured.