cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming at home! - how to stop?

Eli1234
Investigator
Investigator

So i'm just sat here in my Lounge and my phone texts me to say i am now roaming in the Isle of Man...  That was at 18:29 and then at 18:31 i was welcomed back to the UK.....  Worlds fast trip there and back again.

So how do i turn off roaming? If i'm that close to another network how i do stop it from happening - it will be a pain in the proverbial if it keeps doing this.

Thanks 

5 REPLIES 5
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Which part of the country are you in?

If you perform a manual network search, do the Manx networks show as available?

I'm on the west coast of Cumbria.  

Currently i dont see any Manx networks, but there again i'm in a mobile not spot and i dont always see EE's network indoors

bristolian
Legend
Legend

From the Cumbrian coast it's entirely feasible that Manx networks could be visible in favourable conditions.

If that combines with a lack of coverage from your home network, your phone will roam by design. As soon as home-MNO service is available, that will take preference.

The issue is the £2 something per day you get charged for roaming if you use data or calls whilst on the wrong network.  Hence why i'm looking for a way to stop the roam by design when near to roaming networks.  It not too bad if you are on wifi calling in range of your home network, but is all too easy to overlook the text message when you have an urgent task to do.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Indeed so, and on the Irish border there is provision for this. If you're elsewhere - south coast/Channel Islands, Dover/Calais areas - your only option would be to request roaming is disabled on your SIM, and enable it manually each & every time you travel abroad.