Re: Ee signal awful

wmyd
Visitor

I'm in MCR and it's a joke unless you are on Vodafone!

Nothing more frustrating than when people trying to help suggest using wifi-assist... so we should only use our phones for data or calls when connected to a wifi network at home... or a shop... you realise how silly that is? We don't need data if we can use wifi!

Same experience with EE and Three in MCR. Unless you're in the Three or EE store where the have a booster box. Walk inside Arndale mall which has space and a lot of sky windows... next ti no signal for calls and zero chance of 4g let alone 3g (1990's anyone?). Very few shops have signal outside the mall,  I tested and wasted my time for the benefit of calls to Three and EE support.

Speed of EE means nothing if you have to be in a wide open space to take advantage of it. Nothing you can do will fix this unless you place more masts or boosters around the city. Manchester is one of the biggest, booming cities in the UK and for some reason, only Vodafone seem to grasp the concept of you using your phone or data inside a building is being important.

If you work or live in MCR, do yourself a favour and stick with Vodafone or a Virtual operator like Asda who use Vodafone. Speeds not great but it works, every time.

2 REPLIES 2
Chris_B
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@wmyd  Wi-Fi assist, is not Wi-Fi calling, Wi-Fi assist if when you have a poor Wi-Fi signal, but a great cellular signal and your phone can change and use cellular data instead of Wi-Fi.    Wi-Fi calling gives you a working signal when you have a poor cellular connection, so you’re able to use your phone to make calls and send texts and also to receive.      No network will guarantee a signal indoor as that building can block cellular signals. 

bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Manchester, if that's where you're referring to, is a very big place, and reflective of the whole country - every network will have good and bad coverage areas and no one operator is perfect.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of Arndale, but it's not uncommon for networks to have in-building systems in some locations, it's certainly the case of some Westfield centres.

WiFi-calling is a recommended solution for indoor coverage issues wherever they occur, and although mobile coverage is always preferable, most centres have public WiFi which is a useful way of using your phone if there is no indoor coverage.

The frontline support agents, I'm sure have good intentions with any coverage queries.