cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No bars and wifi calling is poor

Ajin1
Explorer

I live in TW74QZ and I don't get any mobile signal and wifi calling is poor.

I have tried all the suggested fixes and nothing works

4 REPLIES 4
bristolian
Legend
Legend

You have two issues here, but both need more info to advise.

1: Mobile coverage - is this a recent problem? Is it an issue indoors, outdoors, or both? Are other EE users affected?

2: WiFi-calling being poor - can you explain what "poor" means? What are the symptoms? Does this affect other WiFi routers?

What are the fixes you've tried thus far?

Hi 

Please note my replies

1: Mobile coverage - is this a recent problem? Is it an issue indoors, outdoors, or both? Are other EE users affected?

Issue is going on for a fairly long time.  Problem is indoor but now increasingly outside as well.

2: WiFi-calling being poor - can you explain what "poor" means? What are the symptoms? Does this affect other WiFi routers?

Call reception tends to be unclear where call seems to drop in and out

What are the fixes you've tried thus far?

Below are examples of some of the things i have done

Restart
Remove and put sim back in
It was suggested turn on and off airplane mode
Change phone
Change sim

Hope above gives an idea.  I just feel EE no longer wish to provide cellular calling and are pushing towards wifi calling only.  Probably because its cheaper.  I am guessing.

@Ajin1 , have you checked here:

https://coverage.ee.co.uk/coverage/ee/keep-me-posted

You can also register, report and get updates from EE.

EE cannot do anything about indoor reception, that is why there is wifi calling, but if the reception is poor outdoors where you are or there is a fault, then reporting it is one way of letting them know and for them to keep you updated too.

Of course they are providing good cellular , otherwise we would not be able to use phones, etc when out and about, but indoors can have various reasons, why the signal is poor. This can happen in the environment, when outside too, for that matter, depending where the mast is, what buildings, trees etc are in the way, or if there is a fault with the mast, which would need to be rectified, and that can depend where the mast is and how accessible it is.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.

@Ajin1 wrote:

I just feel EE no longer wish to provide cellular calling and are pushing towards wifi calling only.  Probably because its cheaper.  I am guessing.

The logical extension of this theory is to begin decomissioning network sites and only have indoor coverage via VoWiFi - this is not happening. WiFi-calling complements the mobile network and provides for blanket indoor coverage anywhere that there is a wireless router.

A good test of where your WiFi-calling issues lie, is whether the same problems are apparent on other broadband routers - not a test you've mentioned. I suspect your "call seems to drop in and out" could be caused by handoffs between the mobile network and VoWiFi, which can often cause a momentary audio drop. This can sometimes happen when in cell-edge scenarios - some Android phones have an option to set "WiFi-preferred".