cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's never EE's fault!

archercj
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

About 3 years ago we decide to buy a static caravan in a rural area. I am in the IT profession for my sins so when w ebought it I bought a data sim of all the main mobile suppliers and hooke dthem up to me Archer MR600 router that was connected to a Bluespot LTE directional antenna. All suppliers, except EE, were coming back with 2-4mbps but EE were showing 40-60mbps with only very occasional speeds of 15mbps. Reason, I understood,  was that the mast I point the aerial at is dedicated to EE and also very close to our location (you get a survey when you buy the aerial).

Anyway things were great for over a year which meant I could work from the caravan (those dreaded Teams meeting etc). But in the past 4-6 months the signal has deteriorated so we regulalry get 1-2mbps and if we are lukcy 4-6mbps. Had several excuses from EE, the usual - weather, more people using the service in the area etc etc. Oh and a neighbour was told by EE that the mast in the area (HU18 1EL Atwick Road)  had experienced power issues that had damaged the infrastructure but they were struggling to sort it. That has come 2nd hand so I cant clarify it.

Anyway the upshot is that I now cant work from the caravan as it impacts on things like Teams. And the most frustrating thing is the apathy from EE. Another neighbour was also told from EE that they are investing in 5G in the town about 15 miles away. The last email I got from EE was that they had just checked it and it seemed ok. really!

By the way my signal strength with my setup varies from 75-100% ALL the time, I get an RSRP reading of -69dBm, a RSRQ reading of -15dB and a SNR of 14.8dB. Those figures are pretty good to be honest and should result in better speeds.

My educated 'guess'. The local EE dedicated tower is not functioning so the signal is being picked up from the next nearest which is about 3 miles away and not in direct vision.

I pat £30pm for thi service. Really.

Thing is as I have stated the other suppliers are no better (and EE are now down to their level) and also I dont have the 'luxury' of landline broadband.

Yes I can work from my main home where I have 1 Gig Virgin but I wonder how widespread such a scenrio is in rural areas. 

IF the speed from ALL supplers had been poor then I could have a general grumble about service but when you experience a brilliant 40-60mbps for 12 months plus then suddenly 4-6mbps if you are lucky something has changed. And excuses such as weather dont come into it  given the excellent service in the past and yes usage wil go up but that would take 100's of new customers to impact and anyway you shoul dbe ensuring your service is maintained

So come on EE, for the foreseeable future, large areas of teh UK will NOT be eceving 5G so ensure your 4G network is maintained.

7 REPLIES 7
bristolian
Legend
Legend

You are confusing the quality of received signal with the capacity available, which are two different factors.

The coverage indicators are a guide to the quality of received RF, while the speeds attainable are related to the carriers & capacity deployed. The two are independent - it is equally possible to have fast speeds over poor RF as it is to have poor speeds in good coverage.

In a similar way, 5G is not a panacea to poor speeds any more than 4G equates to congestion. The remedy to data congestion is to deploy more carriers, which can be 4G just as much as 5G. 5G tech-adds are often deployed alongside 4G capacity-adds.

What you pay per month has no bearing on any of these factors.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @archercj 

Thanks for posting on the community. 

Does the Network Status Checker show any reported problems for the area if you select the 'check status' option after entering your postcode and device?

Has this been reported to our tech gurus by yourself to get this looked into in more detail? 

Thanks. 

Leanne. 

EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@archercj wrote - Another neighbour was also told from EE that they are investing in 5G in the town about 15 miles away.

According to the EE Coverage Checker, there is an EE Mast very close to you (HU18 1EJ) that is providing good 4G and good 5G Coverage in your Area (See the 5G Map Pic below), looking at the Area I would hazard a guess that the 5G Signal is going to be either 5G Band n28 or n1, either way its not a Signal that you will pick up using your older 4G Setup.

Maybe its time to think about an Device Upgrade, your Archer 4G Router is a Cat6 spec, Most 4G/5G Routers these days are up to Cat22 now, plus they cover most of the newer 5G Bands (on EE currently n1, n3, n7, n28 and n78)

HU18 1EJ 5G Edit.jpg

archercj
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Leanne

I get at least a weekly text telling me of issues in the area. And yes it ha sbeen reported and escalated.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Thanks @archercj 

Please keep us updated after this has been investigated. 

Leanne.

archercj
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Cheers EssexBoyEE. That is really useful. I wasnt aware (and EE have not notified me) that the mast you mention (which is the one I direct by aerial towards for 4G) now has 5G capabilities.

Will look at updating and giving it a test. Fingers crossed.  My current router does show the additional bands, and I have tried to force it to connect to them, but it wont connect.

archercj
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

An update to this.

Spoke to the EE techies abd explained the situation. The frustration from my perspective is that for over a year the service from EE resulted in reliable speeds of between 40-60mbps yet for the past 4 months it has been 4-6mbps if I'm luck and often 1-2mbps.

The techie checked and again it was stated there were no issues for the particular mast (but will checks show the historical deterioration in speed - no) but did state that another mast fairly close by had issues and could I wait 2 weeks to see if it is fixed. This has been going on 4 months!

I did ask about 5G and wondered if I committed to updating my current contract to one that included the EE 5G super hub, whether I could return the hub if the issue was not resolved. Sadly, I was told this was not an option as I should wait to see if the issue is resolved with the other mast over the coming weeks. From my perspective I would have thought that would have been a great customer service initiative.

So frustratingly this issue continues. As I cant work from this location I am having to work elsewhere so my next option, which will be to use the sim in a phone that has 5G capabilities and tether from that rather than my 4G router, wont be tested until the weekend.