Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Partner MVNO VOLTE - WiFI Calling plans

RR-THE-IT-GUY
Investigator
Investigator

Hi Team EE.

I have a quick query, with the pending 3G switch off and some of your MVNO's using the 3G network for calls, what is the plan to enable these operators to use VOLTE to prevent issues of uses on these networks from being disconnected when trying to make calls?

I believe the 2G network is not being switched off however am conscious that the deadline that your aiming for in January 2024 is just around the corner. 

I have been advised by the MVNO in question that no plans have been made for this as yet however wish to get a conformation from EE when they will include the VOLTE as standard for the MVNO's so EE can complete the discontinuation of 3G and 2G in future.

Please let me know if this is a disconnection to have with BT wholesale or MBNL (however I suspect MBNL is not required for this query)

Many thanks,

RR

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RR-THE-IT-GUY
Investigator
Investigator

Hi All,

I am happy to annonce that LycaMobile has introduced VOLTE and 5G calling as of this weekend.

Please see:

https://www.lycamobile.co.uk/en/3g-switch-off/

It took some emails but I got to the person that was concerned on their side and was informed of the plan  I can confirm that the calling is working over the 5G and VOLTE.

Kind regards,

RR-THE-IT-GUY

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
bristolian
Legend
Legend

The 2G network remains fully supported for now, with new equipment still being installed. CSFB will continue onto 2G1800 for any non-VoLTE compatible device/SIM once 3G2100 is retired next year.

Whether the VoLTE-non-compliance is due to a legacy device or an MVNO, is immaterial. Specific details within MVNO-contracts would be confidential between the two parties, save where allowed for marketing purposes.

Hi,

Thanks for your message, its still not an ideal situation, I was more getting at is BT Wholesale going to implement the VoLTE as standard instead of an added service as other providers have additional "modules" and packs that get added on as in theory if this is done the existing MVNOs should gain this advantage?

For a company looking to be advanced with technology it looks to be holding back on MVNOs until the last second.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Unless you're at a commercial level in either BT-W or their customer in question, you're unlikely to get an answer to that.

I will send some emails and may be able to get some answers from some contacts at both levels.

It looks like a number of EE MNVOs such as Now and Lycamobile are just getting 2G calls now and have lost HD calling and of course data stops dead during a call.

I'm currently suffering from some calls going direct to voicemail on the RWG Mobile/NOW due to the very fact that 3G has been disabled and voLTE isn't available. Apparently EE is working to rectify the issue, but honestly who missed the boat at EE understanding the very concept that turning off 3G wouldn't severely impact calls made to and from those on its MVNO it sold without that feature enabled?

whiskerp
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

TBH it's up to the MVNOs to get their act together. 2G doesn't support HD AMR-WB voice either unlike 3G. 1p mobile, Spusu and others now have VoLTE+b20 and VoWiFi. Now Mobile and Lyca Mobile just haven't got their act together.

@BUGGERLUGZ wrote:

who missed the boat at EE

How can you be so sure that the issue has been caused by someone at the host MNO "missing the boat"?

There are other reasons for the current situation. Your point of contact for complaints is your service provider, which is not EE.

BUGGERLUGZ
Investigator
Investigator

You could look at it that way, but it was EE who decided to turn off its 3G, not my service provider, and I didn't get the issue until then. So equally, EE selling services without certain functions knowing damn well it'd impact those companies you sold those services (without those functions) too once you switched off 3G should have some bearing of responsibility here too, no?