Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Partner MVNO VOLTE - WiFI Calling plans

RR-THE-IT-GUY
Investigator
Investigator

Hi Team EE.

I have a quick query, with the pending 3G switch off and some of your MVNO's using the 3G network for calls, what is the plan to enable these operators to use VOLTE to prevent issues of uses on these networks from being disconnected when trying to make calls?

I believe the 2G network is not being switched off however am conscious that the deadline that your aiming for in January 2024 is just around the corner. 

I have been advised by the MVNO in question that no plans have been made for this as yet however wish to get a conformation from EE when they will include the VOLTE as standard for the MVNO's so EE can complete the discontinuation of 3G and 2G in future.

Please let me know if this is a disconnection to have with BT wholesale or MBNL (however I suspect MBNL is not required for this query)

Many thanks,

RR

16 REPLIES 16
bristolian
Legend
Legend

If you're not a direct customer of EE, then they haven't sold you anything. Your MVNO supplier has.

As per my previous comment, not all technical issues are caused by anyone necessarily "missing the boat" - unforeseen problems can often cause them too.

whiskerp
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

It's absolutely nothing to do with EE. All operators are required to turn off 3G - EE and Vodafone have gone first. A few MVNOs have failed to add VoLTE to their offering. It's up to them if they wish to offer a crap service. EE will undoubtedly provide them IMS services if they can get their act together to contract them. They've had years of notice about this.

@BUGGERLUGZ   Your totally right there it wasn’t your service provider who turned off 3G.   EE got to the point where they had already give their customers plenty of notice that 3G was being switched off and proceeded to do so.    What agreement you have with your MVNO provider has nothing to do with EE and that service provided.   Your issue is with your provider for failing you.   

RR-THE-IT-GUY
Investigator
Investigator

Hi All,

I am happy to annonce that LycaMobile has introduced VOLTE and 5G calling as of this weekend.

Please see:

https://www.lycamobile.co.uk/en/3g-switch-off/

It took some emails but I got to the person that was concerned on their side and was informed of the plan  I can confirm that the calling is working over the 5G and VOLTE.

Kind regards,

RR-THE-IT-GUY

Bertiebassett1
Visitor

Hi there  RR

I am with Lyca because it uses the EE network but sadly (even to this day) it misses the majority of incoming calls because my phone (pixel 7 pro) struggles to get down to 2g quick enough.

I don't think they can have rolled it out yet?

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Lycamobile have announced this feature, but I have seen evidence of issues.

Your point-of-contact would be Lyca, not EE.

whiskerp
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

This spreadsheet is useful : https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/network-spec-spreadsheet.40566/

Lyca VoLTE is on their own IMS and has no HD peering despite AMR-WB always being on. They haven't got VoWiFi working yet. They don't have B20.

Spusu also seem to run their own IMS without any HD peering but with AMR-WB switched on permanently. At least their VoWiFi works but their voicemail setup is weird. I believe they have B20 access.

The only non-BT MVNOs with a full service profile (5G, VoLTE, VoWiFi,  HD, HD+, B20) running on the EE IMS are 1p Mobile, Popit and CMLink.