cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Network review from a traveller

pnguins
Visitor

Hi All

i used to live in the UK and was connected to O2 for many years with very few issues. I moved to Australia (Perth] 16 years ago and I’m with Telstra. I have absolutely zero issues with coverage and often record download speed tests of 600meg. 
On my return to the UK a week ago I purchased a Vodafone PAYG and after 2 days of poor coverage in Leeds, decided to speak with Vodafone and obtain a refund. 
I then purchased an EE PAYG sim and have used this for 4 days in and around Leeds, particularly Alwoodley, Pudsey, Roundhay and Headingley. I was hoping the coverage and experience would be much better on EE. 
I find the signal strength very poor. When I’m driving, the signal constantly drops to zero. When I go into shopping malls, the signal drops significantly, often to zero.  Im aware of how different cellular frequencies penetrate buildings differently, but if Telstra can do it in Australia, why can’t EE do the same here. 
Overall, it’s  ‘satisfactory’ but to make matters worse, as a PAYG customer I’m restricted to 25 meg download speed and can only connect to EE 4G. I think it’s unfair. 

2 REPLIES 2
Chris_B
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@pnguins     That’s just it I don’t get these issues but I’m not in that area.   Just because you have no issues with your home network in your location in Australia it doesn’t mean that it’s the same in other locations in Australia.  So why compare. 
As for the 25Meg download what you are actually trying to do that this isn’t fit for as you don’t say.  

bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

An interesting comparison, with a couple of points that "jump out".

"When I’m driving, the signal constantly drops to zero" - on any routes other than remote Cumbria/Dartmoor/Highland ones, I wouldn't expect this, it certainly shouldn't be a common occurence.

"When I go into shopping malls, the signal drops significantly, often to zero". There are some network design issues that can contribute to different behaviour between MNO's, but zero indoor coverage should not be a regular issue. I'd need to research Telstra's spectrum allocations and deployment strategies to compare further, and may do this.