cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Dial Tone & Dropped Calls ....

Redheadguy10
Investigator
Investigator

I was with Plusnet recently (part of BT) as are EE. Plusnet are closing down. Plusnet swapped me to EE on the same plan. Since joining EE there's no live customer service and nearly all my calls out have the international dialing tone and most then drop. I live in Camden in London, I've not been abroad and EE are now poor. I went to EE stores and staff don't know why. I went to a 'super' EE store in the Westfield centre which was meant to be tech savvy hub  no clue. My sim has been replaced twice, phone reset too. I'm not using WiFi calling either, that's turned off. I know that Plusnet used the EE network and that EE also sells its network to other branded names like 1p mobile (which sells the same 'product' I'm paying for at 50% cheaper) and Leyca Mobile, Talk Home Mobile, IQ Mobile, CO-OP Mobile, (https://www.simsherpa.com/networks/ee/virtual-providers-on-ee?accept-cookies). I think I've been swapped from a fully functioning Plusnet package to something that all the cheaper providers use on EE's network, but EE have started to do this too. My point is I wasn't told of these problems before joining EE. A friend of mine used to work at the Orange / EE Head Office in the Paddington Basin in London on the main board and said "EE don't care, they churn through customers". Staff at the 'coal face' and it looks like EE helpers here aren't aware of these changes, now you all know. I'll be moving on to another provider. PS - I've jest read on the review link I posted above that EE no longer step down from 4G to 3G when no 4G is available and they're shutting down their 3G. It seems from the review above that 1p Mobile provide the same full EE network as I'm paying for now but at 50% of the cost. £36.00 for an entire year!

7 REPLIES 7
Schockwave
Community Hero
Community Hero

@Redheadguy10 , 3G is being shut down worldwide, it is not just EE, 2G still exists and will continue, but as we now have 5G and 4G, that is why it is being shut down.

Not sure why you are having such problems and why they are coming out with international dialling tone, that is strange.

Could you please check here where you can register, report and receive updates:

https://coverage.ee.co.uk/coverage/ee/keep-me-posted

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.

Thank you for the info on 3G which I did mention in my posting too.

Eventually, I got through to a human on Level 2 tech. He made some adjustments to my account on different systems he has.

I went to an EE store to do a 2 way sim test from another handset, that was fine and then I came home and did a complete backup & restore.

I turned on my BT WiFi App, also connection to calls through WiFi on Settings.

I'm still getting the international call tone - as are many, many others here - Search International dial tome to see about 120 postings.

I don't make many calls nowadays as I just retired, so will connect with the Level 2 tech man again next week about my calls dropping before connecting.

*** I used to be with EE, they became expensive, I swapped to Plusnet (owned by EE at the time, I think) for 50% of the price - Same quality. ..... BT bought EE, are shutting down Plusnet and I was swapped onto EE ...... The 'Quality' of live customer service has dropped considerably. In 6 weeks I've only ever been able to speak to 3 human beings at EE 150, the rest are text systems and AI. Staff in the shops are employed to sell, are not ultra tech savvy and I've yet to speak with someone who knows anything about the international dial tone.

I suppose it's much like insurance nowadays, want a cheap deal go to the known names and get poor customer service (Admiral etc) ..... If you want great customer service in insurance, pay more & go to Hiscox (I'm not in insurance) ....

My point is many nowadays don't have the patience to get things sorted properly ..... 

Redheadguy10
Investigator
Investigator
I live in Regents Park in central London.

Plusnet had one 'blind' spot on The Outer Circle in Regents Park whilst
using the EE network. Since being transferred to EE, the 'blind' spot
(calls dropping) have increased 25% + in addition to bad call quality since
going over to EE.

I'm using the same phone I was using with the much better service on
Plusnet using the EE network.

It's the EE network that I've been swapped over to, not my handset.

Even when my case was noted and passed onto your IT department, I never
heard back.

I'm simply yet another 'small account' and I have no loyalty to EE ......
My bill is going up and the service has become poorer .....
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Redheadguy10 

What device are you using? Is this a 4G/5G device or 3G? 

Could you try entering your postcode and device model on the EE Coverage & Network Status Checker | Check your signal and select 'check status' do we have any reported network problems for the area? 

If not, you can report the problem you are experiencing which will be investigated by the network team without you needing to call, once the area has been investigated you will receive an update via text or email. 

Leanne.

@Redheadguy10 wrote:

Even when my case was noted and passed onto your IT department, I never
heard back.

Did you ever follow up your fault case, or query the lack of response?

Any non-4G phone will now use 2G in all locations, the only issues this should cause are with data use. Voice calls & texts should not notice any difference in coverage.

Alas ..... the signal always drops at Chester Gate & Outer Circle, Regents
Park ..... even with my 4G phone ....

My post was a reply to Leanne from EE. I'm not waiting 40 minutes on the
phone to chase up a poor service ....

I pass a skeleton on the Outer Circle which is still holding a mobile phone
and waiting for EE to pick up from 1999 ! 😉

@Redheadguy10 , Leanne would still tell you to ring customer service and speak to the technical team, not sure what you expect @Leanne_T  to do, she is not from the technical team.

Did you report it as per @Leanne_T  suggested? You then do not need to speak to someone.

If you do not want to sit waiting 40 minutes on the phone, you can always hang up and try again a little later. At least all the call centres with EE are UK based, unlike some or many companies.

You can always write to them by post, if you prefer, but that would take longer to get your problem resolved.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.