Dropped calls

mailjackhorrey
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I’ve noticed the service on EE getting worse and worse. Calls drop when I’m on the phone at home and that never used to happen. 

when I’m in the car there are more dead spots than ever.  I have an O2 Sim card in my iPad.  Although they aren’t known for having fast data speed, they are so much more reliable than EE when it comes to making phone calls which is what a phone was designed for after all. 

I’ve recently tried WiFi calling whilst hotspotting to my iPad with the o2 sim.  Not ideal really. 

I wondered if anyone else has experienced the same thing. It seems that since EE was bought by BT it’s gradually gone downhill, also choosing poor roaming partners abroad. 

6 REPLIES 6
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @mailjackhorrey 

Are the calls dropping when you're using WiFi calling at home? You can check the estimated coverage for certain areas on our coverage checker. It'll give you an idea of what the coverage is like. It's also possible that some areas that you're travelling through may have maintenance works going on.

Chris

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Are you using VoLTE/4G-calling when calls drop?

There shouldn't be anything wrong with having to use WiFi-calling indoors - it's a reliable service, and can mean you have service when you wouldn't otherwise.

mailjackhorrey
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Voice and data is 5G auto. It doesn’t give me the option to for 4G for calls only. 

WIFi calling is only as good as the WiFI connection and the coverage that the router gives. I don’t think a phone signal on the UK’s best network indoors is an unreasonable ambition. I had one for years before. 

it also drops regularly when I’m out on the road. O2 doesn’t.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

5G is currently deployed in NSA-mode meaning calls are carried over 4G - hence the reason for asking whether VoLTE is displayed when calls drop.

No network will guarantee coverage indoors, 100% national indoor coverage is unrealistic to expect any network to offer. This is one of many reasons why WiFi-calling is promoted as one of the solutions to poor indoor coverage.

mailjackhorrey
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I’ve never said that I expect 100% coverage for any network that would be impossible. Just the service that I used to have from EE would be a good start.

EE are often claiming to be the best network in the UK, so I think I could be forgiven for expecting service quality to be moving forward and not backwards as it is in my experience  

bristolian
Legend
Legend

The "best network" claims are typically based on national benchmarking, the results of which are pretty consistent over time.

If you're getting dropped & failed calls when VoLTE is displayed, that is certainly a fault scenario and shouldn't be happening.

Degradation in perceived coverage is complex, and can often be caused by carrier changes & local site optimisation without actually causing service issues.