Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A week without service, followed by very poor 5G coverage

DylRicho
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hello,

Over the past week, I have been without any kind of service from EE while under contract on two devices. I then found out from a family member that there were engineers out to the cell tower near me. It is around 460 m / 1,500 ft away from my house, according to Google Maps. I checked the coverage checker, and sure enough there was maintenance in my area.

It would appear that we were getting 5G around where I live. The 4G LTE I've had as a customer since 2018 has been excellent, with full signal strength at all times across the four devices I've had from you over the years. Maybe the odd fluctuation, but generally unnoticeable.

However, following the completion of the maintenance, I have been facing extremely poor 5G signal reception, with only a single bar showing on my phone. Now I'm aware that higher frequencies don't travel as far, etc. (I enjoy physics), but this coverage is so slow that I can't even load up the EE app anymore. I am forced to use Wi-Fi. 4G signal strength and speeds have also been affected to the same degree.

I upgraded from Vodafone because their coverage in my area for anything beyond 2G was abysmal. In fact, it seems EE has somewhat of a stranglehold on the people living in my area as every other carrier is terrible on 4G speeds.

Now it seems EE has joined them with the atrocious 5G coverage I have, not to mention the week without service and no apparent bill reduction to compensate.

What can be done about all of this?

11 REPLIES 11
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@DylRicho  if it was me I’ll switch off 5G for now on your device and just use 4G.    It’s what I did when 5G first became available to me as it wasn’t great at all. It’s only in the last few months I’ve used 5G.   

DylRicho
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi @Chris_B,

Unfortunately, it seems 4G coverage is equally poor ever since the maintenance. I'm not noticing a difference between them honestly.

@DylRicho  Give it time then,  once a mast has had any maintenance on it it can take awhile before it’s full up to full strength output.   Don’t forget everyone else is also trying to connect to that mast in that area and this puts a strain on it until it’s up to full output power. 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

@DylRicho wrote:

I have been facing extremely poor 5G signal reception, with only a single bar showing on my phone. Now I'm aware that higher frequencies don't travel as far, etc. (I enjoy physics), but this coverage is so slow that I can't even load up the EE app anymore.

What 4G & 5G carriers are showing as available? And is it only the EE app affected, or are other internet-based functions similar?

@Chris_B wrote:

@DylRicho  Give it time then,  once a mast has had any maintenance on it it can take awhile before it’s full up to full strength output.

A site is either on-air radiating or it's not.

There can sometimes be a period of stability where particular performance config may be tweaked, but this wouldn't affect the raw ability to receive coverage. This can also be equally true of any live site just as much as one that's recently had hardware changes made.

DylRicho
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi @bristolian,

O2, Three and Vodafone show up, as well as a mysterious entry called 23432.

It has affected all internet-based functions, not just the EE app.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

234-32 is the additional MNC for the separate ESN-core.

DylRicho
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@bristolian; I understand.

I will wait for a response from a member of the support team.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Comments on the reasons for speed diffentials would need details of the EARFCNs observed.

A list of networks available is different to a list of carriers.

Are you using Apple or Android?

DylRicho
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@bristolian I am using Android.