cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data roaming does not work in northern Cyprus

fionamullen
Investigator
Investigator

I want to claim a refund on unused data from a data package but I can't find how to do that.

Here is why. I have a pay-as-you-go EE. I live in Cyprus (internationally recognised south side). I bought a data package at the weekend to be able to use it in northern Cyprus, which is on a different, non-EU network for complicated reasons relating to the Cyprus problem. However, although I had roaming switched on, the data package never worked. I tried both networks in northern Cyprus - Turkcell and Telsim - and could not find a network to use mobile data. I assume that this is something to do with the "Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC)"  not being recognized in northern Cyprus. (Turkish Cypriot phone numbers have the +90 Turkish  prefix but the next three numbers are different from Turkey.) When I bought the package, EE  said you can claim a refund for unused data but I cannot find where to claim a refund. Does anyone know how to do that?

3 REPLIES 3
bristolian
Legend
Legend

In order to use mobile data abroad, you need to roam onto a foreign network - it's not clear from your post whether your phone has a local network connection. Does it?

When you say you tried both networks and "could not find a network", what do you mean? Does your phone show signal bars of a local network? Can you make or receive calls on that network?

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What data package did you buy to use in N. Cyprus? Do you mean a PAYG subscription pack?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@fionamullen   Did you try restarting the device?