cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited has hit FUP over Christmas. Show usage please EE!

MmmToast
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Again, I have a FUP problem.   Or have I?  The most frustrating thing is I can't find out how much data I have used so far this month, because the unlimited line's page on my account always shows "you have used null of null" or some useless information.

The only way to find out is to hang on the myee app chat for at least 30 mins, to have the confirmation. Too late to do anything about it.

So now the family think I'm scrooge for allowing the internet to fail over Christmas.  Thanks EE. 

• Please EE, this has been an issue for years. Give me the ability to see how much fuel is left in the tank, "Null" is useless. 

There's no excuse, your systems can obviously provide this information because all my other SIMs on the account, which have a fixed amount of data, can show this.  

15 REPLIES 15
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @MmmToast 

Thanks for coming here. 

Did you receive a notification from EE when you had used 80% of the giftable data from the unlimited plan? 

I am sorry unlimited data will not show how much has been used in your EE account. 

Leanne.

MmmToast
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@Leanne_T wrote:

I am sorry unlimited data will not show how much has been used in your EE account. 

Yes, this is the problem.  What is OFCOM's position on obscuring usage of a service?

@MmmToast  Try texting BALANCE to 150

MmmToast
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Sorry I thought I was posting in the Mobile Broadband section but I see my post is not categorised like that. 

SIM is in a router. Limited capability to send SMS, but I will try.  Edit....   Done - Reply is also unhelpful

Your current charges to go onto your next bill are £0.00 (this excludes line rental, VAT & any unprocessed charges). You have unlimited data. For info on our other Text Services, reply HELP or go to ee.co.uk/text150

It seems to me this is not an omission, but a deliberate business decision.

2023tmobileuser
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

you should call ee and threaten to make a complaint to ofcom and the ASA for miselling of unlimited data, unlimited should mean this: not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.  600GB is not unlimited. a threat of a complaint will probably make EE remove the fair use policy from your account. if that does not work you should switch to vodafone or three, they do not have a fair use policy on unlimited data

@2023tmobileuser : "Unlimited" does mean "Unlimited". It's just that due to the FUP it is dead slow above 600 GB pm.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
MmmToast
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

My principles align with 2023tmobileuser 

Advertising should not lie, mislead or manipulate. The word "unlimited" has a very clear definition, there are NO limits. At all. That is what it means.  It's absolutely fine to have an "all you can eat" product for marketing purposes, which does have an eventually limit.  But do not call it unlimited.  I feel that any other interpretation is a debate over what's an acceptable degree of lying.  

But I am not naive.  I already know they are lying, what I truly resent is the lack of information.  

The ASA will not look into individual complaints, however if enough people complain, they will. This is their rule:

https://www.asa.org.uk/static/uploaded/cb2997ec-68d6-4a7d-9d3dd0ef7c168427.pdf

“Unlimited” claims are likely to be acceptable provided that:
• The legitimate user incurs no additional charge or suspension of service as a
consequence of exceeding any usage threshold associated with an FUP, traffic
management policy or the like; and
• Provider-imposed limitations that affect the speed or usage of the service are
moderate only and are clearly explained in the marketing communication.

With a stronger clarification made in 2014: https://www.asa.org.uk/advice-online/internet-unlimited.html

QUOTE:

"marketers will no longer be able to use a fair-use or traffic management policy to slow down legitimate users, nor will they be able to impose an additional charge or suspend the service. A policy which does not affect the majority of customers but impacts significantly on a small number of heavy users is unlikely to be considered “moderate”. "

So EE's FUP really doesn't align to policy.  However, I would be satisifed IF it is made CLEAR to me when I am approaching the "Provider-imposed limitations that affect the speed or usage" in advance.

You find out AFTER you have hit the limit. 

ASA does handle individual complaints. I have done 1 or 2 & succeeded. Just follow Make a complaint 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
2023tmobileuser
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

giffgaff definately breaks these rules, i have seen posts on their forum saying people have had their sim card completely disconnected just for going over their 650GB fair use policy on their £35 "unlimited" plan