cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared data roam abroad pass and fair usage policy

Lochy
Investigator
Investigator

I have a pay monthly 150GB data unlimited calls and unlimited texts sim only contract with EE.

On my account I also have sim only contracts for my wife and children all unlimited calls and texts but with less data.

I normally share/gift my data allowance with them.

We are going on holiday to France and Spain and I plan to purchase a roam abroad pass for each of the four sims on my account.

If I share my data (150GB) over three sims will the 50GB roaming fair usage policy apply separately for each sim or will it be shared across all sims?

6 REPLIES 6
Lochy
Investigator
Investigator

Following my post here, I posted on billing support chat and I got the following answer from Ravi:

Once data is gifted (applicable while you're in the UK only), a fair usage policy is applied separately to all numbers and all numbers can use 50 GB of data without any issues.
roaming-for-paym-customers-20012020.pdf (ee.co.uk)

A piece of good advice from Ravi was:

'I would recommend you to add the pass, as the best thing about the roam abroad pass is that you will be refunded for the days the pass is not used. For example, if you stay in France or any EU country for 20 days then you will see a refund of 10 days on the next bil.'

Just in case you want to use the daily roaming option in the EU instead of the pass, and you will be using your phone in 2 countries in a day e.g. France and Spain , you will only incur one daily roaming charge as this is applied for the whole of EU and not on a country by country basis. Ravis advice 'You will only be charged once, as the £2.29/day charge is applicable for the EU and is not country specific.'

Hope this helps someone. When I get back from my holidat I will update this post if reality differs from the advice I have been given

@Lochy wrote:

the best thing about the roam abroad pass is that you will be refunded for the days the pass is not used.

Not true! You pay per billing month.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for the heads up XRaySpeX, Would you know if the other advice regarding my gifted data and fair usage options is correct?

Yes, there's a FUP of 50 GB data per number per billing month when roaming. 

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Lochy
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks XRaySpeX, if the monthly billing results in a pro-rata refund for unused days, I will post about it after my trip, But for the moment I will assume as you have advised that it is fixed price per sim per billing month non-refundable.

Regards

Lochy

That's what the terms of it say.