cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove spend cap to use data

andrews-markw
Explorer

I have a UK phone. I am in Portugal and yesterday my mobile data stopped and it is not barely possible for me to function here now without mobile data.

I am nearly losing my mind trying to change this. 

First, I eventually got on a wifi and searched forums and someone suggested removing the spend cap. So I go into my myee app on  my mobile device, and try to turn off spend cap and the app says "This service isn't working right now .... we're working hard to get it up ....". I have tried it over and over and over. And then it says "get in touch if it's urgent" with a button "call us" and that does not work at all, so I call 150 and no one answers. And then I text SPEND CAP to 150 and it asks for characters of my password, which I know, and I type them in and it says they are wrong (and they are right!).  So then I try in the app to increase my spend cap, instead of turning it off, and again I get the "This service is not working right now" again. And then I go here: https://ee.co.uk/contact-ee/contacting-abroad and try to call that number and that too does not work. 

I can not believe how bad this service is!  Not being able to use data in a foreign country when I am on my own and here for business means I am lost. Why did they stop access to my data in the first place. I travel often and this never happened. But if I can reset if my removing the spend cap, then I will do thing, but NOTHING I try to do to make that happen works. The app does work, the text doesn't work, the phone call does not work. And I can't do it on the web. 

This experience is so bad, that I am going to leave EE. 

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

A spend cap wouldn't stop you using data as you don't spend on data. It's part of your monthly allowance.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
andrews-markw
Explorer

The spend cap was the problem. It should not be the problem, but it is. See e.g. https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Services/Roaming-not-working-in-Portugal/td-p/1254598

The app eventually stopped malfunctioning allowed me to change my spend cap settings, and then within around 5 mins, I had access to my mobile data. 

There seems to be too much wrong here. The spend cap affecting access to my data; the app not working; the 150 text message system not working, other things not working. 

Ah, yes. In the EU the spend cap is biting against the daily roaming charges.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)