cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painfully slow 4G data abroad

aswils
Explorer

Hi, I’ve just returned from a 3 day trip abroad. On the 3rd day I noticed that when not on WiFi, I was literally unable to connect to WhatApp  at all and Maps would take about 5 minutes to load even the most basic  directions. 4G was virtually unusable despite showing good coverage (3 or 4bars)?

I am confused why this may have happened?

8 REPLIES 8
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@aswils   It could be the local network there has/had issues in that area.  

Hi, thanks for the reply. I think is was more specific to me as others with me didn’t have the same issue. 

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @aswils,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Were the others connected to the same roaming network?

James

I’m not sure, to be honest. Another reason I thought it may be more specific was at a football match the previous evening, I was getting zero 4-G coverage when all people around me were using their phones and browsing with no issues. 

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @aswils,

It could be that the others were connected to another network that wasn't affected by a local network issue.

If it happens again when you're travelling, I'd recommend performing a manual network search.

James

Mrb92
Contributor
Contributor

do you pay the £2/day or did they give you a free roaming add-on?

I have the latter and have found that they restrict the bandwidth to the extent that's is not worth having.

why don't you guys just admit that you restrict roaming bandwidth.

It's also not possible to manually connect to a network that isn't your partner. Why is that?

I have the same question..."why don't you guys just admit that you restrict roaming bandwidth."