cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Data Speed in Italy

N1kkx
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone tell me what the data download speed in Italy is throttled back to please?

13 REPLIES 13
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

It will be an Unkown as EE (or any UK Network) will have no control over Other Overseas Networks Data Speeds when you are Roaming. 

Kirigaya_Kazuto
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The speeds you get will be down to the local service provider, EE do not throttle speeds when roaming

N1kkx
Contributor
Contributor

I am unhappy with the speed of data when I am overseas which is obviously being throttled back by comparison to the normal data speeds available from the same local provider. I have an Italian contract phone so when I do a speed test with 2 identical iPhone 12's in the same place in Italy, one on TIM and one on EE using TIM the difference is shocking. Considering the money we pay for this service it really is not good enough.

My contract is now up for renewal so I plan to change provider to someone who at least gives me a decent download speed when Im abroad. Does anyone know how I can go about finding such a provider?

Obviously they dont control the local speed directly, but they sign the contract with the overseas local provider so agree the minimum (maximum) level of service to be provided that they are paying for. Apparantly they are happy to pay little and in return we get a poor data delivery, so poor as to be unusable in many instances.

My question was specific to the limits that are obviously in place, (as agreed to, or at least known of, by EE, that mean when I am roaming overseas I get a far slower data download speed when connected to a local provider than I do if my contract is direct with the same local provider.

I dont expect to be told the actual or best download speeds available because that will obviously vary by contract package, location etc, but it is equally obvious that there is a limit in place restricting the speed from the local supplier when we are roaming. I want to know what this limit is and subsequently if other UK based providers offer a better service through their overseas partners.

My data speed in Spain was about 40-50mb/s down depending on where I went, so it seems it varies by country

N1kkx
Contributor
Contributor

I agree, in France mine is reasonable, in Italy its often below 20mb/s when my exact same phone, in the same place with the same provider, TIM, is over 100mb/s. In the USA it varies dramatically by State and in the UAE it's generally good. KSA is virtually unusable.

The fact that EE doesnt make this information available and transparant leads me to believe that they somehow do have control over it but they choose to hide this fact and just leave us with a poor service for the money we pay.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Any contractual terms between EE-UK & foreign networks, will rightly be confidential between the two parties.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @N1kkx 

Welcome to the community.

What speeds are you getting? Is it a 4G connection?

Chris