cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

London Underground not auto connecting.

KingR
Investigator
Investigator

Since I changed my sim to an esim (and now back again) I have no longer been able to automatically connect to the EE Auto Wifi network on London Underground. Connecting manually is usually fine and I have tried the Virgin network and that automatically connects. 

I’ve reset network connections, new phones, spoken with support and no one has figured this out. I was asked to contact support while at a station and spent 30 minutes having to explain everything again. Interestingly WiFi connected after about 15 minutes sitting at the station. 

Is there a problem with the network generally which means it’s unreliable, or is it my account. I keep being told there are no problems, but surely something is wrong?

12 REPLIES 12
Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @KingR 

There aren't any known issues currently.

If our Tech Team have been unable to resolve this, they should then pass your details to our Tech Gurus to raise an investigation ticket for the issue.

Jon

Thanks @Jon_K, should someone be contacting me if it’s been escalated? It’s been over three days so I assume that no one is looking at this. How do I get straight through to this team rather than having to repeat everything again (I had to last time despite quoting both reference number and phone)?

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @KingR

If you have had this escalated you should receive an update. 

As it has now been over 3 days, I would recommend speaking with our technical care team. 

Your account will be noted following previous phone calls. 

Katie

I have been in the same case for months. I am on iPhone with an esim 

my husband too 

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @chriscatee

Welcome to the EE Community. 

Have you reported this to our technical care team?

Katie

Hi Katie,

No I didn't report it because we are both impacted, so to me it sounded obvious that it's a global problem that impacts all EE or Apple customers.

I was waiting for EE or Apple to fix it. but it's getting really annoying. It's the main reason why we moved to EE, this wifi in the tube

I suspect it's iOS16 blocking public hotspot from connecting. Maybe when the MAC address changed. And you have as many MAC addresses as wifi access point.... thousands.... but I could not confirm it.

Could be a security "improvement" because it was known that some wifi name like "Starbuck" are used to capture users's traffic without them noticing. 

Jamesup
Investigator
Investigator

Exactly the same issue and no help so far, including a pointless 30 minutes on the phone to 150 from a tube station. 

Thats disappointing and not surprising from my experience as well. I discovered my partner is having the same problem. She is on an iPhone but never had an esim so I think that bits been eliminated. Seems to me that something is wrong here with either the EE network, or London Underground access points. Either way someone should be either fixing it or stop telling people the service will auto connect if it no longer does. 

I've also only had physical sim. I see some references to problems on other networks on twitter, but I think they can all still connect via the virgin SSID, only EE has turned that option off in favour of sim based access.