cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does the “excellent speeds max 100mbps” work on simo?

MJC_OK
Explorer

Hi, I’m thinking of upgrading my contract to the 125gb for £18pm, but it says it’s limited to 100mbps and I’m not sure how that works.

I’ve just got the new iPhone and finally got 5G, I’m getting around 600mbps which is amazing, so if I change to this will I still get 5G at a maximum of 100mbps, or is it going to drop me down to 4G? Obviously it’s not just speed that’s impacted by 4/5G bands.

Is anyone else using this? Tbh it feels shady from EE, but I’m happy with them generally so don’t really want to move.

thanks 

6 REPLIES 6
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@MJC_OK  You’ll get 5G and 4G still but the max speed will be 100Meg.   

Thanks Chris, I was hoping that would be the case. I wish I’d spent more time checking my 4G speeds, but I can’t imagine that there’s many situations where 100mbps isn’t fast enough

@MJC_OK   I totally agree.    

Paulg0
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

The whole point of 5G is for increased speeds and lower latency. EE have slipped in the 100Mbps speed cap knowing that people won't really understand it. They are still pushing is as the amazing new 5G technology though.

They've also slipped in a 25Mbps speed cap on PAYG now, and have never made PAYG 5G available, unlike the other networks.

Yes its all very shady. They are trying to maximise profits and limit peoples speed to get more people on the network.

EE have gone from been the top performing network to being average performing and overpriced. This started at exactly the time that BT bought EE. Must be a coincidence though.....

Paul

@Paulg0    What can you not do with 100Mbps that requires you to have unlimited speed?   Oh by the way the average broadband speed in the UK  is 86.5Mbps so you still faster than the average fixed broadband.     Some people don’t want to pay or need unlimited speed and are happy with a 25Mbps or 100Mbps connection so why should they have to pay more if they are using a slower network speed. It’s called pricing and giving the customer options on what they want and need at different prices points.  

EE never made 4G available to pay-as-you-go, uses for quite a while they’re doing the same with 5G.  What other networks do is up to the network I’m not sure what you trying to say with that. 

There’s nothing shady at all it’s all there for you to see and read about or how else would you know about it. .   And EE are only offering alternative prices at different network speeds.     It’s called options for the customer or do you not see that.  

Paulg0
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

From EE website:

"5G is fast. Faster than anything you've seen before, with bigger capacity and more connections – even in the busiest of places.With superfast speeds, quicker downloads and better quality streaming, you can access the content you love on the go. Plus, with 5G connectivity in all major cities, you can stream videos at higher resolution, enjoy better quality video calls and download films in seconds.

5G brings many benefits, including download speeds and capacity. You can expect average 5G speeds of over 100Mbps and download films in just a few minutes instead of 15 minutes on 4G.

Whether you’re opening apps and web pages or playing the latest high-resolution game on your phone, everything will feel super-quick. What’s more, a near-instant connection opens up possibilities for exciting new augmented and virtual reality experiences on your smartphone."

So a normal non technical user could incorectly assume that he will get all these benefits when buying a 5G plan, not noticing the small print! "5G is fast, faster than anything you've seen before" Its not if you buy a 100Mbps plan!

There are many things that all the networks do to hoodwink people into signing long contracts. I wonder how many people have signed up to a 24 month 1GB 100Mbps plan at £17 a month before finding that they used their whole months worth of data in 82 seconds, and that they are in a contract they cannot cancel,and can only add additional data atn non "special offer" prices. Or how many people roamed in Turkey and found their calls were £2.30 a minute.

Its dodgy marketing, and not being fully upfront! 

Paul