cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GEE Router Fair usage policy for unlimited data

MidgeY2K
Contributor
Contributor

I currently have an unlimited contract with a 5GEE router.

What fair usage policy applies to this specific case.

6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

A FUP of 600 GB data per billing month. Beyond that is considered not personal use.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

We watch TV (4K)

Have phones (Facebook / games)

XBOX Games

Normal stuff... 

There are only 2 of us, and use ~ 750 GB per month.

This is personal use.... 600 GB is not enough in the modern world!!!

Unlimited should be redefined to "Limited to not enough for personal usage".

Will be looking at alternatives when my contract runs out in December.

lukerobinsonin2
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

unlimited data on smarty is totally unlimited

600GB is a very low fair use policy for 5G, it works out at only 20GB a day, not even 1GB per hour

MidgeY2K
Contributor
Contributor

@Customer services.

My contract runs out mid December.  The speed I am getting is 20MB/s.

I have a 4K TV which I stream, and various other connected items.  I was considering getting an external aerial to improve my speed , but, this would seem a little redundant when the fair usage policy is only 600GB ?

What is the point of claiming high speeds are available which cannot be used for normal home usage without effecting the FUP ?

I work from home with lots of live meetings. 

archercj
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Agreed. I appreciate there being a cap (well of sorts) but as we progress down the 5G route and the better speeds associated with it for streaming, people are going to want to stream the highest quality audio and video which of course uses more data.

For some it will become a viable alternative to landline internet but of course there will be many who abuse it.

Completely agree.  I have to manage two EE SIMs in order to manage the FUP.  And all we do is stream Youtube and Netflix mainly.  My son has a PS5 and Xbox and when he wants to download a game I start sweating as these games are on average 50GB (COD would be 100GB plus).  It's a great service in general and I get on average 230Mbps, but it's costing me an arm and a leg to maintain this.  I will not get Gigabit broadband any time soon (and I am in the heart of London), and my copper connection is horrendous.

3 does truly unlimited data, so I don't understand the data cap.  If you want to market this as a broadband solution you should clearly mark it for SD streaming only.  I don't think EE realise how much data modern streaming takes up in bandwidth, let alone wanting to download a game on console or PC.  To be fair O2, and Vodafone also have a FUP of 600GB but they need to rethink this as 5G has become a very viable alternative to traditional internet.

Stop thinking these SIMs are just for mobile devices, and then I think we may see a change.