4g router

kjandy
Investigator
Investigator

hi

if i put my simcard into my tplink 4g router and connect via my laptop some but not all pages fail to display correctly. 

all was working fine up until a few weeks ago then they suddenly stopped. i have spoken to the tech team and they have sent me a new sim card but this didnt resolve.

they have also reset network settings etc but to no avail.

i have tried my sim in a different 4g router and also connecting with a different laptop but still get the same problem.

its as though some pages are being restricted. these are not 18+ pages and adult content filtering is turned off.

any ideas?

thanks

19 REPLIES 19
Hi JamesI have already had multiple conversations with the tech team with no results hence coming here.ThanksAndy
James_B
EE Community Support Team

I've sent you a PM @kjandy

Please check your inbox and get back to me when you have a moment.

Thanks

James

Hi James,

I have just joined EE coming from Giffgaff (O2 network). I am having the same problem as this user with Omegle, where I broadcast a weekly vlog (or used to until this problem).

I don't have broadband and use my mobile phone tethered to my laptop for 4G internet usage. Works very well and has done for years now with Giffgaff. To reiterate what @kjandy said; when I now connect to Omegle video chat with EE, my video window is fine but the other persons does not load (except maybe randomly once every 25 or so people). 

Did you manage to find a solution previously do you know?

Many thanks.

James_B

Hi @181Tommy,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Have you tried changing your content lock settings?

James

Thanks. Yes, it's fully off. I can access the site but get the problem as described above. As I could access the site with no issues with Giffgaff (O2) - and have tried it with a broadband connection which connects fine too, I can assume its something to do with EE's own settings? Any thoughts?

Hi, did you get this issue with Omegle resolved? I have the same issue. Thanks.

James_B

Hi @181Tommy,

I'm not aware of any network related settings that would cause this intermittent issue.

Have you tried reaching out to the website to see if they're aware of any issues?

James

No but as the connection works fine on 'normal' broadband I just feel it could be something technical relating to EE, although I think it affects Vodaphone too but O2 is fine. Strange.

Christopher_G

I wonder if, on that website, you're connected to each other by IP address, @kjandy. On fixed broadband, you have your own fixed IP address. On our mobile network, we use CGNAT, which means you're using a public IP address that could be shared with other users.

Chris

Christopher_G: You may just have answered a question thousands have been puzzling over for years!! This makes complete sense. Omegle does indeed use IP to IP address connection for its video chat. To stop users using a VPN they block them as they can detect the IP addresses of VPN providers (they do this to stop anonymous users who may abuse the platform). And a VPN is a shared connection. So if CGNAT is also a shared  IP connection  Omegle will detect that as if it is a VPN and block it.

So I assume as an EE customer I cannot bypass CGNAT in anyway to get a fixed IP address?